Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Reaction muted to arrests

Police continue to investigate two cases involving allegations of misconduct by two teachers at Frank Porter Graham Elementary School in Chapel Hill.

Wendolyn Lockhart Frierson, a second-grade teacher at FPG, was arrested Friday and charged with felony larceny involving the theft of PTA gift certificates.

In August, Kathleen Yasui-Der, an exceptional education teacher at FPG, turned herself in after Chapel Hill police issued five warrants for her arrest.

She was charged with five misdemeanor counts, including child abuse and assault of a handicapped person. All charges were filed by the school in May.

Teachers and parents at the school are reluctant to discuss either case, and all contacted Wednesday referred calls to the school's administration for comment.

"At the moment, we're not supposed to be talking about this case at all," said school PTA co-president Kim Buckley of Frierson's charges. "I'll have plenty to say once the investigations are complete."

Buckley said she and others at the school had been advised by police investigators not to discuss either case.

Frierson, 58, is accused of stealing more than $2,000 in gift certificates from the main office, said Capt. Brian Curran of the Chapel Hill police.

"We're alleging that the teacher tried to use them at a store in Durham," he said.

Frierson was placed on paid leave last Wednesday.

Principal Stephen Greene said Frierson would remain on leave until the investigation had ended.

Yasui-Der resigned from her position July 15 after being placed on leave in June.

The fact that two teachers from the same school are facing criminal charges is not a specific concern to police, Curran said.

"I don't want to make any sweeping generalizations," he said. "It seems to be a coincidence."

Criminal history checks are required for all new school personnel, according to a 1995 N.C. General Statute.

But some teachers who were employed before the enactment of the law might not have undergone the same criminal background checks, said Hazel Gibbs, human resources director for Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools.

"There is a law, but it is a more recent one," she said. "There are a number of teachers who have been in the system for a number of years who wouldn't have been covered by that law."

Yasui-Der has taught at FPG for 12 years, while Frierson has been a teacher for 31 years.

Curran said he believes it is too soon to gauge community response from the latest incident. "This last one hasn't been out there long enough to see much reaction."

Neither teacher has entered a plea in her case.

Yasui-Der appeared in court last month but chose to sign a waiver to postpone entering her plea until she had the opportunity to meet with her attorney.

Frierson is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 9.