Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC aims to cement downloading details

The exact details of the University's pilot music downloading program, slated to be implemented in January, have yet to be cemented despite growing anticipation.

Officials said they still must determine how students will access the program, which companies will provide services for UNC and specific details about contract agreements.

"We're still trying to figure out the best and easiest way for students to access the program," said Tom Warner, director of coordinated technology management for the UNC system.

Administrators said they plan to use next semester as a test run for the new program.

"Pilot programs are, by definition, when you work out any kinks," said Jeanne Smythe, UNC's director of computing policy. "We need to make sure we can support it and meet all the students' needs."

Officials said the University will begin supplying pre-loaded music and targeted educational content to students as a means of reinforcing positive legal behavior.

This program is designed to augment education and to curb illegal downloading, which is an Honor Code violation and a problem at the University, Smythe said.

"We get complaints every week, almost every day," she said. "I would hope that as these kinds of service offerings are provided, illegal downloading would go down."

Some students also acknowledged the tendencies for students to download illegally and the need to present another option.

"I think it's great that they're going to offer a legal alternative to what everyone's doing now," said sophomore Matthew Harrell.

The program will be financed by a grant obtained from a major music label. Officials have yet to release the name of the company.

If the pilot run is successful, minimal payment from students who live on campus and want to access the program will fund a permanent setup.

Smythe said that if the program is continued next fall, she expects costs per student to be about $2 per month or $10 per semester.

Some students noted that this program would be less expensive than other legal options.

"I think it's a great idea," said junior Varun Talukdar. "Not only is it legal, but it's a lot cheaper than CDs."

Despite lingering in the early stages of planning, members of the team developing the program said they are optimistic about the outcome. "I think it's an exciting thing for us to try out," Smythe said.