Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

YDs focus on door-to-door campaigning

Hope to sway locals in state election

The UNC Young Democrats have claimed that their grassroots actions helped the N.C. General Assembly to be split evenly between Democrats and Republicans after the 2002 election.

And the group is attempting to have a major influence on this year's state elections by continuing those efforts this weekend.

In the waning days before the 2002 election, YD members volunteered 200 hours to the campaign of Democratic candidate Alice Bordsen, who was seeking a legislative seat in Alamance County.

The group pounded the pavement, hoping to turn out voter support, and Bordsen won by 97 votes.

"They are just as likely responsible as any other group that helped influence the vote count," Bordsen said. "There is nothing that isn't crucial in a close election."

Tom Jensen, YD's party affairs director, said that if it wasn't for the group's efforts, the General Assembly would be controlled by Republicans. "If we influenced a half of a vote for each hour we spent there, then it made a difference," Jensen said.

The 300-member group has had daily campaign events, including registration drives, phone banking and canvassing neighborhoods, planned since the first day of classes in August.

"Our '63 Days of Campaigning' has focused on going off campus for the Democratic Party," Jensen said. "On every doorstep we provide the information that voters need."

Going door to door is the most beneficial task that college students perform during an election, Bordsen said.

Jensen said that by Nov. 2, the group will have logged about 10,000 volunteer hours on different campaigns.

And local politicians have taken notice of the group's hard work and influence and are eager to work with YD.

Carlos Monje, spokesman for Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Erskine Bowles, said that the group has mobilized voters during the past few months, and that many YDs have offered to be interns.

"College students are the most active and energized volunteers," he said. "We have a great partnership with the Young Democrats."

Working with campaigns affords students an opportunity to see the democratic process firsthand.

"There is no better way to learn," Bordsen said. "They provide a great service to us."

Yet a larger college chapter, the College Democrats at the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, isn't as actively involved in statewide campaigns as is the UNC chapter.

"We are not focusing on local races," said Libby Benton, vice chairwoman of the chapter. "We are canvassing student areas, phone banking and having a hot dog-eating contest."

On a higher level, the Democratic National Committee said college students are the most valuable tool in any campaign because of their energy.

"This year has been the most successful ever for college students involved in campaigns," said Brian Richardson, a DNC spokesman. "Tens of thousands have become active on campuses this year."

Richardson said the Democratic Party is counting on its student chapters to make a difference in key battleground states, such as Florida and Ohio, by making sure that voters get to the polls.

"They play an integral part," he said. "Young people are fed up, and they decided to take action."

Contact the STATE & NATIONAL Editor at STNTDESK@UNC.EDU.