Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Building begins on global center

Move is part of UNC's long-term goals

The University's commitment to the global community was reaffirmed Friday afternoon, when officials gathered in the historic Carolina Inn to celebrate the groundbreaking of the Global Education Center.

Attendees - including students, faculty and even some foreign ambassadors - mingled in the Old Well Room, where musicians played central Javanese gamelan music framed by the gold sconces and pillars that line the classically Southern venue.

"This is really a wonderful day for the University," said Chancellor James Moeser, who took the time to thank the University community for its support of international efforts.

"It makes a major statement about UNC and our values," Moeser said. "We are very serious about being an international university."

Moeser said he believes that in today's world, a university must show a commitment to internationalization to be a leading institution. He said UNC is ready to take that step.

"A more global Carolina is one of our top priorities in our Academic Plan," he said.

The Global Education Center, which is slated to open by 2007, will stand on the corner of Pittsboro and McCauley streets.

Campus leaders said the location will act as a symbol of the merging of the University's teaching and research missions by closing the gap between UNC Hospitals and the rest of campus.

The center will unite student services, academic programs and faculty research in its 80,000 square feet. Its features will include classrooms, a videoconferencing center, the Office of Study Abroad, the University Center for International Studies and several centers for international research.

The idea for the center came to light six years ago in the College of Arts and Sciences. While $20 million toward the center was approved in 2000 by the Higher Education Bond Referendum, the college is determined to raise another $7.5 million through the Carolina First Campaign.

Speakers outlined the center's importance and shared their excitement for the project.

UNC-system President Molly Broad said the University is clearly at the forefront of international education. "This campus has always been a leader in many ways, but especially in this area," she said.

A report set to be released later this month by the Association of International Educators will support Broad's claim. The document will highlight five campuses nationwide, including UNC-CH, that have been successful with their efforts to focus abroad.

Several attending the groundbreaking said the center will be an important addition to the physical campus and its academic climate.

Richard "Stick" Williams, chairman of the UNC-CH Board of Trustees, said, "A great University is going to become even better."