Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Campus briefs

University may be victim of forged international check

University police responded to a phone call Tuesday from a UNC employee concerning a forged check, reports state.

John Carlson, an accounting services employee, discovered the forgery and got in contact with the police.

According to the report, Carlson told the officer that a check in the amount of $24,000, drawn from a University account, was cashed Sept. 5 outside the United States.

Police are continuing to investigate the case.

Stamp thieves make mark at 2 desks in Davis Library

Three sheets of stamps valued at about $20 were stolen Tuesday from Davis Library, reports state.

UNC employee Kate Barnhart told University police that the stamps were taken from desks in rooms 149 and 150.

According to the report, Barnhart said the offices were locked at the time, but not the desks.

There are no known suspects at the time, and the case is pending further investigation.

Students to take to road to support troops' children

Carolina Troop Supporters, a student organization, will host a Yellow Ribbon 5-kilometer run Saturday in conjunction with Children of Fallen Soldiers Relief Fund, a national group.

The nonprofit organization hands out college scholarships to the children of military casualties.

Registration commences at 10 a.m. and runners will set out at 11 a.m.

Immediately after the race, there will be a myriad of events including musical performances, an ROTC flag ceremony and a silent auction.