Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

City briefs

Man robs local gas station, traps clerk in the bathroom

An armed robbery was reported at 4 a.m. Thursday at the Spinx Oil gas station at 207 W. Main St. in Carrboro, resulting in the theft of about $200, Carrboro police reports state.

According to reports, an unknown black man, described as about 5 feet 11 inches tall and 180 pounds with dark hair and wearing a green jacket and white T-shirt, entered the store and requested change for a quarter.

When the clerk told him opening the register required a purchase, he put a 10-cent piece of candy on the counter, reports state.

According to reports, when the clerk opened the register, the suspect reached over the counter and pulled out what appeared to be a gun.

He then forced the clerk into the bathroom and sealed her exit with an ice machine, reports state.

The suspect took cash from the register and money from a drawer underneath the counter. He also took the clerk's wallet and cell phone from her purse, reports state.

Police still are investigating.

2 men rob pizza delivery man at Carrboro apartment

A Gumby's Pizza delivery man was robbed at gunpoint at 12:05 a.m. Thursday in the parking lot of Abbey Court apartments in Carrboro when he responded to a false delivery order, Carrboro police reports state.

When the man tried to deliver a pizza to an apartment at 501 Jones Ferry Road, he was told that no one at that residence had ordered anything, reports state.

According to reports, as he was walking back through the parking lot, two unknown suspects displayed what appeared to be a handgun and demanded money.

The two men both are described as about 5 feet 10 inches tall, one of whom reportedly weighs 220 pounds and the other reportedly weighs 150 pounds.

The suspects made off with the victim's wallet, cell phone, pizza and $160 cash, reports state.

Police still are investigating.

Vandals spray-paint 6 cars on area roads Tuesday night

Six cars were vandalized with silver spray paint Tuesday night in four incidents spread out across the city, Chapel Hill police reports state.

Cars on Cottage Lane, Maxwell Road, Old Pittsboro Road and Glandon Drive all were defaced with silver paint, but police have found "no discernible pattern," said police spokeswoman Jane Cousins.

Cousins said that although it is still unknown if the vandalisms are connected, police have determined that they are not gang-related.

Chapel Hill man arrested on multiple warrants Thursday

A Chapel Hill man was arrested at 12:10 a.m. Thursday on warrants for breaking and entering, larceny and possession of stolen goods, all felonies, stemming from an incident at 510 Edwards St., Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Shawn Johnny Milligan, 40, of 108 Creel St., broke into a house owned by Tate Realty & Construction Co. and stole a lawn mower.

He was sent to Orange County Jail in lieu of a $6,000 secured bond.

Milligan also was served with warrants for failure to appear in court Nov. 4 for previous charges of breaking and entering, drug paraphernalia, resisting arrest and trespassing.

His bond was increased by $700 for failure to appear. He will appear in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough today at the first opportunity.