Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

City briefs

Woman charged for violating her pre-trial release order

A Chapel Hill woman was arrested at 5:40 p.m. Saturday and charged with misdemeanor violation of a release order, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and felony possession of crack cocaine after she was seen walking with someone who swore an assault warrant against her on Nov. 23, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Lucretia Miranda Drew, 23, was seen almost constantly in the presence of Columbus Sherman Foushee, with whom she was forbidden to be in contact until her trial as a condition of her release.

When police served her a warrant for a pre-trial order violation, they also found 0.2 grams of crack cocaine and a crack pipe in her pocket, reports state.

Drew was released on a written promise to appear today in Orange County District Superior Court in Hillsborough.

Electronic equipment stolen from Chapel Hill residence

An 18-year-old Chapel Hill resident's laptop was reported stolen from her home at 2 p.m. Saturday, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, the suspect took her Apple laptop, an iPod and two AC adapters - totaling $2,350 in stolen property - from her residence at 117 Pinoak Court.

Durham man flees police, charged with drug violations

A Durham man was arrested and charged with felony possession with intent to sell and distribute cocaine, felony speeding to elude arrest and misdemeanor possession of marijuana after running from a driver's license checkpoint at 3:30 p.m. Saturday, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Telek Kinte Smith, 27, was stopped at a checkpoint when officers smelled burning marijuana.

Smith fled the scene, but his car, a burgundy 1986 Oldsmobile 88, was found wrecked in the park-and-ride lot on Estes Drive a few minutes later, reports state.

A canine from the Carrboro Police Department was called in to track the man, and drugs were found during the tracking process, reports state.

Smith was sent to Orange County Jail to be held on a $20,000 secured bond.

He will appear at the first opportunity today at Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

UNC freshman charged with possession of marijuana

A UNC freshman was arrested at 2:55 p.m. Saturday and charged with possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor, after being stopped at a driver's license checkpoint on Umstead Drive, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Michael Richard Everhart, 19, of 2008 Pershing St. in Durham, was stopped in his green 1994 Nissan Maxima.

He was released on a written promise to appear Feb. 14 in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

Property stolen from Jeep in Southern Village lot

A larceny from a motor vehicle was reported at noon Saturday in the Southern Village park-and-ride lot after suspects unzipped the top to a Jeep, reached in and stole items from inside the vehicle, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, 30 audio and video recordings, cash and a cell phone were stolen from the Jeep, totaling $705 in stolen property.

A UNC graduate student in the Department of Genetics and a Duke University Medical Center employee, both Pittsboro residents, were listed as victims in the larceny.