Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

City groups tinge traditional spread with local flair, flavor

Create fare for vegans, gourmets and homeless

From fine dining in a five-star setting to a Mediterranean-style vegan feast, those spending Thanksgiving in town can find something to satisfy their taste.

For out-of-towners and local residents with refined taste buds, the Carolina CrossRoads restaurant at the Carolina Inn will be serving a decadent gourmet brunch and dinner from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday.

Traditional dishes such as roasted turkey and macaroni and cheese will be served alongside a variety of antipasti dishes and salads, ensuring more than just the typical turkey and stuffing, according to the restaurant's menu.

The Triangle Vegetarian Society will be hosting its 11th annual Thanksgiving feast and raffle at Cafe Parizade in Durham.

With a smorgasbord of Mediterranean-inspired vegan dishes to whet the palate, the event will feature such dishes as quinoa salad and Moroccan sweet potato and squash tagine.

And vegans aren't the only ones who are invited, said Martin Blazevich, a member of the society and a vegan of eight years.

"It's a fantastic gourmet meal," Blazevich said. "It's not one of those things that's going to kill you."

As all the feasting gets under way, the Inter-Faith Council will be serving Thanksgiving dinner to the homeless and hungry at its community kitchen in the Old Municipal Building, located at the corner of Columbia and Rosemary streets.

While the kitchen is not understaffed with volunteers, local residents still are encouraged to help out, said Kristin Lavergne, programs director at IFC.

Also on Thursday, the Faith Tabernacle Oasis of Love International Church at 8005 Rogers Road will host a special service.

Because some might leave town for the holiday, some groups already held their Thanksgiving celebrations.

The Triangle Sportsplex hosted its annual Turkey Bowl on Saturday.

On Tuesday, the Chapel Hill Jaycees held an ice cream social at Lickity Split, and the Chapel Hill Bible Church hosted its International Thanksgiving Dinner.

The annual dinner, during which American and international students exchange dishes and fellowship, gives each group an opportunity to find similarities, said church member Vince Thai.

"It's a pocket of people that would normally not get the chance to intermingle," Thai said.

The Carrboro Farmers' Market held its pre-Thanksgiving sale Tuesday, offering homemade pies, cakes and arts and crafts.

The holiday season also means that many closings should be noted.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City and Orange County schools both will be closed today through Friday.

Orange County Solid Waste Convenience Centers will be closed Thanksgiving Day and will reopen Friday.

There also will be no recycling services Thursday. Those routes will be collected Saturday.

Offices for the Orange Water and Sewer Authority will be closed Thursday and Friday, but OWASA personnel will be on call to handle any emergency situations.

Chapel Hill Transit services will not be running buses or the E-Z Rider service Thursday.

A reduced Saturday schedule will be in effect on Friday and Saturday, with the NU bus beginning service at 2 p.m. Sunday.