Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Contrary to article, Tar Heel goalkeeping is a strength

On Nov. 8, an article about the ACC women's soccer championship stated, "And when the game reached penalty kicks, the Tar Heels' most glaring weakness - goalkeeping - was exposed."

I find this comment inaccurate and unfair.

First of all, Aly Winget's goal-against average is 0.59 goals per game, or less than a goal per game. This average is among the best in the country and has resulted in eight shutouts this season. Opponents have scored more than two goals only twice this season.

It should also be noted that Aly is the Heels' all-time save leader and did not allow a single goal in the NCAA tournament last year.

Second of all, penalty kicks are not necessarily the best time to judge a goalie's skill. Many shots are simply impossible to save.

Nevertheless, Aly made an amazing diving save to her left to force sudden death.

In addition, it is unjust to assign all blame for a goal to the goalie; the entire team is responsible for playing defense.

This team has so few weaknesses that no single area can be singled out, and the word "glaring" is especially harsh.

I am confident that our goalkeeping and defense will come up big for us in the NCAA tournament and lead us to another title.

Billy Scott
Sophomore

Political science