Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Dalzell set to face multiple charges

Will respond to murder accusations

The disappearance of a Carrboro woman seven years ago remains one of the most pressing unsolved cases for area police.

Starting Tuesday, the case will inch closer to some type of resolution in the disappearance and presumed death of Deborah Leigh Key.

Andrew Douglas Dalzell, the prime suspect in the case since Key's disappearance on Dec. 1, 1997, will appear Tuesday in Orange County Superior Court on one count of second-degree murder and other recent charges.

Dalzell, reported to be the last person seen with Key, was arrested Sept. 9 after Carrboro police searched his Royal Park apartment Sept. 2.

It was a report of larceny by an employee against Dalzell that led police to search his apartment.

The evidence seized proved sufficient to arrest Dalzell and charge him in Key's disappearance.

He is also set to appear Tuesday in connection with three felony charges filed before and after the search: obtaining property by false pretenses, financial identity fraud and larceny by an employee.

Dalzell is awaiting his Superior Court date on charges of felony third-degree exploitation of a minor, which were filed against him Sept. 23 as he stayed in Orange County Jail.

The six counts of the felony charge were also filed based on evidence seized from Dalzell's apartment, said Corp. Anthony Westbrook of Carrboro police.

Dalzell became the prime suspect in Key's disappearance after a co-owner of Sticks & Stones, a bar then operating at 102 E. Main St. in Carrboro, said he saw Key and Dalzell hugging outside the bar the night of her disappearance, according to a search warrant affidavit.

Her car was found unmoved, with a door unlocked and her purse in the front seat.

Officials from Carrboro police and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation approached Dalzell four months later.

Police questioned Dalzell, who admitted to having been with Key the night of Dec. 1, 1997.

A bra, panties, various papers, two pieces of stained seat cover and hair and fiber tappings were found in the search of his Honda on April 3, 1998, but the evidence was insufficient to charge Dalzell.

Police didn't get their next break in the case until Aug. 31 this year.

When Dalzell asked that police assist him in removing belongings from his apartment, Westbrook said he saw several objects that led him to Dalzell's former employer, Huntgate's Arts, Crafts & Hobbies at University Mall.

After speaking with Westbrook on Sept. 1, the store's manager filed a larceny by an employee report.

Based on the report, police were able to search Dalzell's apartment. Dalzell was arrested at a friend's residence in Stanley on Sept. 9.

He has been held in Orange County Jail since Sept. 9 - on a $70,000 secured bond for the murder charge and a $20,000 secured bond for the exploitation counts.