Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Dive recommends

"The Emperor's New Groove" - The hilarious tale of a pretentious emperor-turned-llama, Kuzco, (voiced by David Spade), this animated Disney flick isn't just for kids.

The film is complete with ridiculous characters, including the emperor's decrepit and conniving advisor, Yzma, who is "scary beyond all reason," and her young assistant, Kronk, who seems to be a combination of Fabio and Martha Stewart - but don't insult his spinach puffs.

Between Spade's llama impersonations and John Goodman as a humble and kind-hearted peasant, this film is as endearing as it is side-splitting.

Cheesy power ballads of the '80s - Whether you are suffering from a rough breakup or are head over heels in love, you can't go wrong with these timeless classics.

Hits like "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner and Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" tell of people hoping for luck in the crazy game of love. They are infused with enough passion, melodrama and flat-out cheese to turn any skeptic into a full-fledged romantic.

As the synthesized music gets louder and the singers wail about love, you can truly feel the emotional intensity. If you're looking for an ode to sing to your sweetheart, try "When I See You Smile" by Bad English.

Whether you find these tunes touching or way too theatrical, there is room for laughter and enjoyment in these electrifying hits.

"The Secret Life of Bees," Sue Monk Kidd - This heart-warming novel tells the story of Lily Owen, a child growing up in the 1960s. At the age of 14, she escapes the house of her oppressive and abusive father with her nanny, Rosaleen. She and Rosaleen find a place to stay with three female beekeepers, and their new life begins.

Lily, a young white girl, finds the family she never had in the home of these three black sisters, named May, June and August. The novel highlights racial relations and conflict as it tells of Lily's interaction with these loving and crazy old women.

But don't be deterred if it sounds too heavy. The novel balances its drama with comedy as the kooky women teach Lily the art of keeping bees, making this book sweet as honey.

Contact Leah Konen

at konen@email.unc.edu.