Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Global studies face uphill battle

Coclanis says UNC has work to do

While this week might be dedicated to celebrating the University's international endeavors, Peter Coclanis is quick to ensure that UNC is not simply resting on its laurels.

Coclanis, associate provost for international affairs, emphasized during a speech Monday night that the University still has a long way to go before it becomes a truly international institution.

"I don't want us to get too full of ourselves," he said. "Up to now, we've done the easy stuff in terms of internationalization."

Coclanis said that despite the University's accomplishments, UNC still is relatively unknown overseas.

"Our efforts up to now, however impressive, are hardly enough," he said. "Despite the fact that we're high in academic ranking, very few people internationally know where UNC actually is."

Coclanis said that because people now are living in an increasingly integrated global market, a university without strong international relations will be left in the dust.

"In a decade from now, I'm convinced there will be no such thing as a great national university. It will have to be an international university or nothing."

To achieve international status, Coclanis said the University must become more attractive to foreign talents of all types - both student and faculty.

"If we don't get these talents, our competitors will," he said. "It will render us irrelevant as a competitor in the international arena."

Coclanis said a major obstacle to attracting international talent is the limit of nonresident students to 18 percent of the student body.

"The longer we keep a cap like this, the longer we will not be considered an international university," he said.

Coclanis said that an increase in the percentage of out-of-state students would help the state by generating more tuition and increasing the chance that international students will accomplish great things in North Carolina.

He noted that this percentage constricts the University in ways that leading public competitors do not have to deal with.

"The Berkeleys, the Michigans, the Virginias, all have relaxed constraints," he said. "This is something that makes it hard for us."

Coclanis also said the University must pursue funding financial aid programs and creating housing options for international students.

Members of the audience said Coclanis' speech rang true.

"I think he's right on target," said Robert Phay, director of World View, an international program for educators. "It's a challenge that has to be met at every level of the community."

Other audience members said internationalization could help improve society.

"Carolina students are interested in internationalization, I hope, not only to get ahead economically, but to make a better world for us all," said Edward Curtis, professor of religious studies.