Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Meters might face overhaul

Council to weigh results of survey

Residents of Chapel Hill used to parking downtown might need to clear space in their wallets, as the town is developing a plan to use prepaid cards at downtown parking meters.

The Department of Parking Services will present the results of its survey, which drew 339 respondents, on the use of prepaid cards at downtown meters to the Chapel Hill Town Council on Dec. 6.

If the Town Council approves the proposal, paying for a parking spot could be as easy as swiping a card.

"The cards would remove some of the obstacles and inconveniences for people to be downtown," said council member Bill Strom.

Strom said that he was impressed with the convenience that the cards offered in other places such as Salt Lake City and that he wanted to bring the technology to Chapel Hill.

Under the proposal, existing meters would be modified slightly to allow for cards as payment.

For those who don't purchase cards but still want to park, the meters still will accept coins.

Strom said the cost to modify the meters will be about $25 per meter, adding that the cards could also be used as a promotional item for downtown retailers.

"They could be a terrific marketing tool," he said.

Under the proposal, citizens would pay for the card itself and then choose the amount of money they want to use for parking to put on the card.

But the charge for the card itself might be higher than many citizens might prefer because only a few cards would be ordered at first.

"If this was New York City, we'd order more, but we're not in New York City," said Chapel Hill Finance Director Kay Johnson.

Johnson said she was unsure whether implementing the cards would affect the about $240,000 in annual revenue the town gets from meters. She said the plan is more about convenience than about generating revenue.

Town parking officials say it is still uncertain where the cards will be sold, but most said the cards should be spread around.

"The more places that are available to purchase the cards, the more likely they will be used," said Kevin Creech, assistant superintendent at the Wallace parking deck.

But if the cards are implemented, most agree they will have positive effects on downtown and its perception of being tight on parking.

"Instead of fumbling around for quarters, you would just need a card," Strom said.