Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Taking the reins

Keyes speaks on judicial restraint

Speaking in the packed Rotunda of UNC's School of Law, Alan Keyes told his audience that "the guild of lawyers and judges constitute the pool from which the dictators of our society will be chosen."

With law students and guests looking on all the way from the upper balcony, the former senatorial and presidential candidate declared that the courts in America have overstepped their authority and need to be reined in.

"The people of this country ratified the Constitution," he said. "It was not approved on the arcane views of judges and lawyers."

Keyes argued that federal courts have fundamentally misconstrued their own power, particularly on the issue of religion. He spoke at length about the meaning of the First Amendment's "establishment clause," asserting that it prohibits the federal government from passing laws concerning religion but leaves individual states free to do so.

"Contrary to what seems to be the superficial understanding of our times, you don't avoid religious wars by trying to drive religion out of society," he said.

"I believe that the courts are waging war on the moral identity of the American people."

In a question-and-answer session after his address, Keyes offered his opinion on a range of other issues.

In fielding a question about same-sex marriage, Keyes argued that because homosexual relationships cannot produce children, they "have no inherent public consequence," and therefore no basis for what he termed "public regulation."

"Marriage isn't about rights," Keyes thundered, prompting applause. "The institution of marriage is about responsibilities and obligations."

He added that the legal recognition of same-sex marriage threatens to destroy the institution of marriage and the rights of parenthood.

"We are now trying by legislative means to deprive the family of its authority," he said.

Throughout most of the night, Keyes remained focused on the role of the courts and the importance of federalism.

The UNC Federalist Society sponsored the event, using $7,000 in student fees to help cover the cost of Keyes' $8,000 honorarium.

The speech originally was planned for late September but had to be rescheduled because of Keyes' Senate campaign in Illinois, which he lost to Democrat Barack Obama.

That certainly didn't seem to be a concern for those in attendance on Wednesday.

"I enjoyed it very much," said Carson Leach, a sophomore economics major.

"I think if there were a lot more Republicans like Alan Keyes, I would feel much better about being one."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.