Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Town Council to consider discussing zoning changes with University

Online Exclusive

The Chapel Hill Town Council will decide tonight whether it wants to meet with University officials to discuss eight proposed zoning changes.

Town Manager Cal Horton and the planning board each submitted recommendations last month regarding proposed changes to the Office/Institutional-4 zoning district, a special zoning district for the University created in 2001 for large tracts of land on the main campus and other college, hospital and public culture sites.

Tonight's proposal asks that Mayor Kevin Foy appoint three council members to participate with him in discussions with the University.

Foy would also have to submit a letter to Chancellor James Moeser about the council's intentions.

The University then would choose its representatives to meet with council members.

Both sides agreed that the meetings could be a genuine opportunity to discuss the issues at hand.

"Everything needs to be put out on the table," Horton said. "The original OI-4 zoning district was developed with the University's assistance. It should be changed in the same context it was created."

Tony Waldrop, UNC vice chancellor for research and economic development, said a discussion between the two entities is a good idea "as long as something productive comes out of it."

Council member Mark Kleinschmidt said that the University and the town have much in common and that neither side expects that the proposed meetings would be just "a clash of wills."

"We have some agreement," he said. "The time the council has to review University modifications is where we are the furthest apart."

The council now has 90 days to review University projects zoned as OI-4, but the town planning board has proposed that this time be increased to 120 days.

Kleinschmidt also said that when the OI-4 zoning district was created, the University received enormous concessions, such as the ability to double its flooring on the main campus.

"We are not talking about taking back everything," he said. "We aren't talking about cutting the floor area. We are talking about changing the process, which hasn't been working out for anyone."

Nancy Suttenfield, UNC vice chancellor for finance and administration, said that she believes the process has worked well for both parties and that the review period shouldn't change.

"We want to have a timely review and have some predictability," she said. "Time is money, and Chapel Hill has a reputation of review times lasting for years."

But Suttenfield said that if the town needs more time for review, the University is willing to give it.

The other proposed changes, excluding the two related to time for review, would require that:

The University submit a concept plan prior to a development plan;

The town planning board make recommendations on the University's development applications;

The town and University establish a system of quarterly meetings;

UNC's development applications comply with the town's comprehensive plan and all other applicable regulations;

There be public hearings ensuring that the University is adhering to the comprehensive plan.