Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Town honors veterans, past

The town of Hillsborough didn't forget that Veterans Day is a day to celebrate those who fought to keep America free.

On Saturday, the Downtown Merchants Association hosted its second annual Hillsborough Homefront - a remembrance honoring those who fought in World War II, complete with merchants dressed in 1940s attire and patriotic posters in store windows.

"We feel it's important not only that their courage and sacrifice be recognized, but that we also gather as much oral history as we can while they're still with us," said Julia Williams, spokeswoman for the association.

To help gather histories, resident Susanne Vergara interviewed veterans about their experiences in the war. If the veterans give their permission, their stories will be given to the Library of Congress.

One veteran who shared his story was Cpl. Bill Reid, who served in an artillery unit in Italy for 1 1/2 years. He said the event was important because it helps people remember the sacrifices that were made.

"I think (the event) is to honor the guys who didn't come back," Reid said. "People remember that we've had to work for where we are."

Retired Navy Cmdr. P.H. Craig, a reservist who served in Boston, lent his restored 1941 Dodge Army command car to the town for the event.

"(World War II) was a worthy cause, a good cause," Craig said. "We can't do enough for those men."

The homefront also included a "home-friendly society," a replica of what a United Services Organization looked like during the war.

The home-friendly society, located at Netti's Attic Treasures, offered coffee and donuts as were available at USOs during World War II as well as a showcase of war-era memorabilia.

Netti's owner, Netti Edmonds, said she was surprised by how few people came into her shop to look at the memorabilia. "I hope it doesn't mean we're tired of celebrating the military," she said.

The owner of Snippin' Snaps, Kim Tesoro, said the event brings attention to veterans even if people were not aware of the showcases when they first entered the stores.

"It increases awareness ... whether they come in specifically to look at the rations board or they were in here shopping and learn something," Tesoro said.

But not every store owner wondered where the residents were.

Workers from James Pharmacy Restaurant and the Orange County Historical Museum all said they had seen a fair amount of people throughout the day.

The restaurant served from a menu filled with popular 1940s meals, while other stores and the museum displayed uniforms, posters and books about World War II.

Regina Dapolito, a Hillsborough resident who attended the event, said people should take advantage of the opportunity to educate their children about the war.

"It was a time that our country pulled together," she said. "Everybody was fighting for one cause."