Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC receiver is in the clear

2 players could see charges dropped

The three University football players who made national headlines after each was charged with simple possession of marijuana soon might face only their punishments from UNC.

On Monday, Beverly Scarlett, assistant district attorney for Orange County, and the players' attorneys reached a deal: The charge against wide receiver Adarius Bowman was dismissed, and linebacker Fred Sparkman and defensive tackle Isaiah Thomas could have the charges against them dropped if they complete a 15-hour drug education program.

Scarlett said she spoke with the players' attorneys Monday after the University sophomores arrived for their first appearance in Orange County District Criminal Court.

The players were appearing in relation to an incident on Oct. 10, when all three players were arrested in Thomas' room in Connor Residence Hall and charged with simple possession of marijuana.

University police seized 5.8 grams of marijuana from the room, according to reports.

Scarlett said that because the incident did not occur in Bowman's room and because Bowman did not accept responsibility for the charge, she agreed to drop the charge against him.

Scarlett said she and the players attorneys' also agreed that if Sparkman and Thomas complete the drug education program before their next scheduled court appearance Jan. 20, the charges against them also will be dropped.

Scarlett said Sparkman, but not Thomas, had agreed to that arrangement as of Tuesday.

Scarlett added that Thomas had told her he was responsible for the players having marijuana.

John Martin, a University athletics spokesman, said there has been no official announcement as to how the charges' dismissal could affect the players' suspension from the team.

In a statement Oct. 11, UNC coach John Bunting said the players would be suspended indefinitely until notified otherwise by he or Director of Athletics Dick Baddour.

All players are still suspended indefinitely, Martin said Tuesday.

He added that he does not think it would be an option for the players to rejoin the team before its appearance Dec. 30 in the Continental Tire Bowl.

Each of the players had established themselves as key assets for the team prior to their arrests.

Bowman was leading the team in receiving yards; Sparkman had started every game at middle linebacker; and Thomas, though not a starter, had been seeing consistent minutes on the defensive line.

Martin said he did not know when the University would make an official statement on the outcomes of Monday's appearance.