Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Volunteers tell patients' tales

Being confined long-term to a hospital bed can be lonely and isolating, but a group of volunteers led by an Emmy Award nominee is trying to improve that experience for patients and doctors alike.

Barbara Martinkosky, director of occupational and physical therapy at UNC Hospitals, was inspired by Julie Heifetz, an Emmy-nominated writer, at a conference and enlisted her help to start the Vital Patients Stories program at the hospital.

The program, which is already in place at other hospitals across the country, pairs volunteers with long-term patients.

Volunteers and patients get to know each other, and the volunteer translates that experience into a story to capture something about the patient, Martinkosky said.

"A volunteer could really sit and talk to patients and will really learn some very helpful and interesting things," she said.

The short biography is given to patients and is placed in their permanent medical files for doctors to read.

The program will benefit patients and allow student volunteers to sharpen their writing skills. But Martinkosky said she also hopes it will remind health care providers why they initially entered the field and allow them to connect with their patients as human beings.

William Andrews, an English professor at UNC, found out about the program from Martinkosky and helped encourage students - especially those interested in English or writing - to apply.

"I think it gives students a chance to use their skills and develop their skills," he said. "It's a practical way to take that training and use it."

Sophomore Melissa Jarrell, a student participant in the program, has just completed training with Heifetz and about 20 other volunteers.

"It's an eclectic group," she said, adding that the training was an incredible experience.

Jarrell said she was inspired by an honors seminar about the effects of major illnesses on long-term patients. She plans to attend medical school and hopes to improve the health care system.

"I would love to shape the system that I will be in when I get through med school," Jarrell said.

But volunteers won't just be UNC undergraduates. Help also will come from the School of Public Health and local retirement homes.

Initially, Vital Patients Stories will operate in the Rehabilitation and Burn centers, where two nurse liaisons, Mike Hartge and Mary Kessler, will help identify which patients get paired with volunteers.

Volunteers of all ages and occupations recently completed training with Heifetz, who is a psychotherapist and a published author. She also has worked with Steven Spielberg's Shoah Foundation, interviewing Holocaust survivors.

Her goal is to promote healing through teaching individuals and organizations to use their life stories, and her 25 years of experience in this ambition will continue next at UNC.

Everyone involved is excited to see the program get under way and see it serve as a model for hospitals across the country.

Andrews said that "this would be a way to have a positive effect on the health care system and the hospital in the sense that patients want to be known to their doctors as something other than a malady."

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.