Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Welch, 23, '04 UNC graduate

UNC alumnus Edward Kent Welch died Nov. 23 after sustaining serious injuries in an automobile accident in Prague, Czech Republic.

Welch, whom family and friends lovingly referred to as "Kent," graduated in June after double majoring in history and peace, war and defense.

Welch, 23, traveled to Prague to participate in a program in which he learned how to teach English abroad.

"His intention was to (teach) for a year," said his sister Ashley Walker. "After being there for about six weeks, he realized he really missed the states and our family."

Welch was scheduled to return home Nov. 20, but less than a week before his departure, a car accident left him in the hospital. He died one week later.

Walker said that after the incident, she sent an e-mail to family and friends asking for support.

"The entire world was praying for him," she said. "The word just traveled that quickly. It was amazing."

Welch participated in a Czech Republic organ-donor program, an act of generosity not commonly practiced in the region.

"The people in Czech don't usually donate organs," Walker said. "I think that makes it even more special that they don't do it over there. The people in the ICU were just blown away with gratitude."

Welch's love for life could be seen in all aspects of his personality, family members said. Loved ones portrayed him as a caring brother, music lover and UNC sports fanatic.

"He was an avid Carolina athletics fan," Walker said. "When Carolina beat Miami, he said it was almost enough to make him want to come home."

Welch also was a passionate musician. He developed a knack for playing the banjo and could be heard playing on campus Friday afternoons with his band, The Grindstone String Band.

"He really found his niche when he picked up that banjo," said his brother Stuart Welch. "He loved music."

Kent Welch's twin sister, Katie, said she is unable to describe how much her brother meant to her.

"Kent was an outstanding brother," she said. "He was so loyal and loving. He wanted to come back and be closer to his family and friends."

Kent's friends described him as "despicably likeable."

"He loved life," said friend Catherine Davis. "He was absolutely amazing and cared for his family so much. He really is one of the few people you can say all this stuff about and it's really true."

Katie Welch said her brother's presence will be greatly missed. "The world is a better place when he was here. He'll be so dearly missed by all of us."

A memorial service will be held at 2 p.m. today at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Winston-Salem. Instead of flowers, the family is asking people to donate to Young Life, a Christian organization, in the Czech Republic.