Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Center offers sexual assault report

If the number of sexual assaults reported recently in the Chapel Hill area is any indication, campus and community sexual assault centers and support groups are as necessary as ever.

Fifteen sexual assaults were reported last semester to Student Health Service through the Office of the Dean of Students, said assistant dean Melinda Manning.

Seven sexual assaults were reported to Chapel Hill police, said Sabrina Garcia, domestic violence and sexual assault specialist with the department.

This spring, the Orange County Rape Crisis Center will take steps to aid those who have been assaulted. Residents are welcome to join one of two groups that provide confidential support and are meant to aid the healing process for sexual assault victims.

Between July and December 2004, about 200 people received services from the center, said Executive Director Margaret Barrett.

“The most important idea is that if you’re a survivor of sexual violence, you are not alone,” Barrett said. “There is power in coming together in a safe place for healing.”

Manning said that at the University, victims do not come forward because they are scared of getting in trouble or because their parents could get involved.

All cases are handled as confidential matters, Manning said, and names of involved parties are not released to the press.

“It only goes somewhere if they want to take it somewhere … Our primary goal is to help,” she said.

At the rape crisis center, the Survivors of Adult Sexual Assault and Rape and the Survivors of Incest and Childhood Sexual Assault groups will each hold weekly sessions.

Each support group is led by two facilitators who have each received more than 62 hours of volunteer training, said Carmen Crosby, director of client services at the center.

“An ideal group would be between six and eight people,” Crosby said. “Smaller groups offer an opportunity for different kinds of group dynamics around (the issues of) intimacy and community.”

Some adult survivors of sexual abuse experience problems with intimacy in adult relationships and feelings of powerlessness and vulnerability, Crosby said.

“They’re called survivors for a reason: They keep striving for mental health every day,” said Elin Abercrombie, board president of the center and support group facilitator.

Assault victims at UNC can file a blind report with the Office of the Dean of Students, Student Health Service or the Chapel Hill Police Department. Students also can file a report with campus police, who are then obligated to investigate the report, Manning said.