Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DEDC to search for leader

Seeks expert in economic issues

While still in its beginning stages, a local economic development group will be seeing some changes in the coming months as the group searches for a permanent executive director and a new seventh member.

Once these appointments are made, some say the Downtown Economic Development Corporation will be able to focus its energies on its mission — fusing the interests of the University, town and private sector in a healthy downtown.

While the search for a permanent executive director comes as no surprise to the group, the need for a new seventh member arose when former Chairman Bob Epting resigned in November after he was the only member who voted against taking an agenda item into closed session.

The Chapel Hill Town Council is in charge of naming a replacement.

Epting was one of four members appointed to the corporation by the town to represent downtown stakeholders. The University appointed two members, and the six members selected the seventh.

Mayor Kevin Foy said the council should decide what to do about finding Epting’s replacement at its Monday meeting.

“We have to decide what the process will be,” Foy said. “My first concern is whether Bob will continue to want to serve. If that’s possible, then that’s my first choice.”

Andrea Rohrbacher, the corporation’s newly elected chairwoman, said she is unsure how the selection process for a new member would work. But she said it is unlikely that the town will appoint a new member without consulting the corporation.

On Wednesday morning, a corporation subcommittee will meet to decide how to go about the search for another new member — a permanent executive director.

Since its inception six months ago, the group has been guided by interim Executive Director Nicholas Didow, a UNC business professor.

Didow, members Tom Tucker and Nancy Suttenfield and Rohrbacher will discuss how the corporation will search for a full-time director.

“We all hope to identify and recruit the most highly qualified director that we can over the coming months,” Didow said.

Rohrbacher said the group will advertise extensively for the position because she wants to find someone who has a strong background in economic development issues.

“Once we get a director who is experienced in development, we can focus on the issues with respect to economic development,” Rohrbacher said, citing perennial issues such as vacancies and safety.

She said Didow has been helpful in creating the foundation of the corporation, such as setting up an office and telephone line.

“He has been very generous to devote the amount of time for this (group),” Rohrbacher said.

Didow said he is willing to aid the new executive director and corporation if both parties think a period of transition would be helpful.

The Executive Director Search Committee will meet at 7:15 a.m. Wednesday in the corporation’s conference room at 308 W. Rosemary St., Suite 202. The meeting is open to the public.

City Editor Ryan C. Tuck contributed to this article.