Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Districts enact high school reforms

While the debate over block scheduling has been resolved, other aspects of reform in local high schools continue to be addressed.

On Dec. 16, the Chapel Hill-Carrboro Board of Education passed a new schedule for the district’s two high schools.

The approved seven-period hybrid schedule consists of seven 50-minute periods, some of which could be combined to 100-minute periods lasting for either a semester or the entire school year.

“The seven-period hybrid schedule isn’t a pure block,” board Chairwoman Lisa Stuckey said, referring to a previous option proposed by the board that met with much controversy.

Plans call for the new schedule to be implemented in the fall of 2006.

“Work will be done between now and the fall of 2006,” Stuckey said.

She said this time will allow students and teachers to understand how the new schedule will work.

For example, teachers can receive training on teaching for a 100-minute block, Stuckey said.

She added that the district’s administrative staff will now be looking over the schedule.

Block scheduling is not the only reform under discussion for the district’s two high schools.

The middle college program, a collaborative effort between a few local school districts, is aimed at housing a high school for juniors and seniors at Durham Technical Community College.

“For some students it creates a sense of independence,” said Neil Pedersen, city schools’ superintendent, adding that the program eventually will include 200 students, 100 from each grade level.

The middle college initiative is up for discussion at the board’s Thursday meeting.

“In the past, the board has indicated support for moving forward with (middle college),” Stuckey said.

The Orange County Board of Education agreed to participate in the program on Jan. 3.

Another area of reform that might soon be addressed is the establishment of academies within the district’s high schools.

The academies would be small learning communities focused on one specific area of study.

Pedersen said the performing arts and science and technology are some of the subjects that have been discussed for potential academies.

Some of the local reform effort stems from state initiatives.

“The state is defining some exit criteria for seniors,” Pedersen said.

These ideas include requiring all seniors to pass core end-of-course tests, as well as implementing a senior project — a final project required of seniors for graduation.

The district does not have such a requirement, Pedersen said.

“On a national scene (high school reform is) a major issue,” Pedersen said, adding that overall, local high schools are high-achieving, but that the district’s reforms aim to make the high school experience more meaningful.