Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Eateries to donate to tsunami relief

In the wake of the tsunami that rocked parts of southeast Asia and Africa last month, local businesses are launching efforts to send aid.

Fourteen Triangle restaurants are donating 20 percent of their proceeds Wednesday to Direct Relief International’s tsunami relief effort.

Four establishments in Chapel Hill — Elaine’s on Franklin at 454 W. Franklin St., Pazzo at 700 Market St., Lantern Restaurant at 423 W. Franklin St. and Foster’s Market at 750 Airport Road — are participating in the effort.

“It’s such a huge tragedy that not just donations from nations is enough, but it’s important that every individual within those nations donates to the cause as well,” said Aubrey Zinaich, manager of Elaine’s on Franklin.

The event was largely organized by Matthew Beason, general manager and part owner of Pop’s in Durham, after a suggestion from co-owner John Vandergrift.

“What we’ve seen in Asia and Africa has been so overwhelming that I think all of the restaurants that are involved decided they really wanted to get involved,” Beason said.

He said he selected Direct Relief as the recipient of the group’s money because of its relatively low overhead.

“Direct Relief was a smaller group, and their administrative fees et cetera, et cetera are basically nothing,” Beason said. “It’s exactly what they call it — a direct relief.”

Annie Maxwell, chief of staff of Direct Relief, explained that the organization uses its annual cash budget — about $3 million — to get about $100 million in supplies to places where they are needed.

Another group contributing to the cause consists of 30 local veterinary hospitals and animal boarding facilities.

The group includes the Carrboro Plaza Veterinary Clinic, the Cat Hospital of Durham and Chapel Hill and The Animal Hospital of Carrboro Inc., and was organized by Philip McHugh, hospital director at Park Veterinary Hospital in Durham.

Each firm will contribute 5 percent of its gross proceeds to charity Friday. Rather than centralizing the donations, each hospital will give to the charity of its choice.

“It was just so wonderful that Park put this all together, and we just said, ‘Yes, we’ll jump on board,’” said Beth Ward, hospital administrator at The Animal Hospital of Carrboro, which will be contributing to the American Red Cross.

A Southern Season, a Chapel Hill gourmet market, is earmarking 5 percent of all of Monday’s sales for the American Red Cross.

“I think we all have a responsibility to step in and help whenever we can, no matter what the cause,” said Deborah Miller, the store’s marketing and communications director.