Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Group files suit against UNC over fraternity

Aug. 25 — An Arizona-based religious liberties group plans to file suit against the University today on behalf of a Christian fraternity whose recognition was revoked for refusing to sign a nondiscrimination policy.

Lawyers from the Alliance Defense Fund will stand by members of Alpha Iota Omega in the Pit at 1 p.m. as the fraternity members announce their intent to continue their fight for official recognition at UNC.

“I think that they think it is more important than they realized when they first began to bring this case to public attention,” said David French, president of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education. FIRE is a civil liberties group that has spent the last month advocating for the fraternity.

“I think that they are realizing that they are at the cutting edge of a really important national issue.”

Members of the fraternity have been advised by their lawyers not to speak with the media but will read from a statement this afternoon. The three members of AIO have remained out of the spotlight as their situation has drawn national attention.

The fraternity refused to sign a nondiscrimination policy, required of all student organizations, when its recognition was up for review last fall. The agreement guarantees student groups access to facilities and funding through student fees.

Members soon enlisted the support of the Philadelphia-based FIRE after claiming that they were losing their ability to be an effective Christian organization.

FIRE recently brought the fraternity’s case to the attention of the Alliance Defense Fund, said Victoria Matta, a spokeswoman for ADF.

The lawsuit will argue that the University must give all expressive organizations equal access to funding and facilities, French said.

“If the University wants to fight this case all the way, this case will take years to be ultimately decided,” he said.

Chancellor James Moeser has said that he does not expect the University to change any of its policies, noting the difficult constitutional issues involved in the case.

“Our policy is legally well-bounded; this is the best placement for us to be in,” he said during an interview last Thursday. “We are trying with utmost diligence to be responsive and faithful to the United States Constitution and interpret it to the best of our ability with the best minds we have available.”

The Campus Ministers’ Association released a statement in support of the University’s nondiscrimination policy Monday.

“Each of us oversees religious student organizations that have been recognized and approved by the University,” the statement reads. “None of our groups have experienced discrimination based on our particular form of religious expression by the University.”

Association members said it was important to make a public statement on behalf of other campus faith groups.

“We’re committed to the freedoms that the University is committed to as well,” said Or Mars, executive director of N.C. Hillel. “Since we share that same commitment, we felt that it was important to support the chancellor in his efforts.”

Rep. Walter Jones, R-N.C., sent a letter to the Department of Education last week, requesting an investigation into the “ongoing problem of censorship of Christian students” at UNC.

Jane Glickman, a spokeswoman with the department, said Tuesday that it has yet to respond to Jones’ letter and still is in the process of determining what action to take.