Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Neal, 24, law student, ACC champion

Died Dec. 20 from unknown causes

Clifford Irving Neal, a third-year student at the UNC School of Law, died Dec. 20 from undetermined causes.

Neal, born Sept. 6, 1980, in Greensboro, is remembered by loved ones and colleagues for his strong work ethic and passion for life.

“Everything he went at he went with gusto, with energy,” said his father, Robert Neal.

He was an avid football player, said his mother, Awilda Neal, but a spinal birth defect prevented him from playing in high school.

He instead joined the track and field team, honing his skills at the hammer throw.

While completing an undergraduate degree at Wake Forest University, he was an all-star hammer thrower, becoming the ACC champion in the event in 2002.

Awilda Neal said her son’s ability to excel at the hammer throw after being barred from football was indicative of his general disposition in life.

“He was always trying to improve himself as an individual, as a student and as an athlete,” she said. “Clifford gave 200 percent of himself in everything he did, whether it was academic or sports.”

Clifford Neal earned an undergraduate degree in psychology from Wake Forest in 2002.

He originally intended to study medicine, his mother said, though in his junior year he instead turned his sights on law.

Robert Neal said he was confident that his son would have made an excellent lawyer.

“He is … very aggressive — aggressive without being offensive, which is kind of hard,” he said.

While attending UNC’s law school, Clifford Neal left an undeniable impression on the law community, said Winston Crisp, associate dean for student services in the law school.

“It’s not an exaggeration to say he was universally well-liked in the law school,” Crisp said.

Crisp said that Clifford Neal had an impact on him and several other members of the law school.

That impact was evident by the large number of people from the University’s law community who attended his memorial service, he said.

“No matter where you looked, he was involved in the community,” Crisp said.

A memorial service was held for Clifford Neal on Dec. 27 in Winston-Salem.

He is survived by his parents and sister, Krista Neal.

The family asks that in his honor, donations be made to Habitat for Humanity, a nonprofit, ecumenical Christian housing organization.

While working for a law firm in New York last summer, Clifford Neal dedicated his time to the organization, helping to construct a house.

“He loved everyone, and he accepted everyone,” Awilda Neal said.

“He didn’t judge people. He just loved everyone, he just loved humanity.”