Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Task force aims to gauge diversity

Will circulate demographic surveys

Members of the Chancellor’s Task Force on Diversity are in the process of developing surveys that will shed light on the current state of diversity at UNC — an endeavor that has been in the works since August.

The task force’s three subcommittees have various surveys that they also are planning to distribute and are conducting focus groups and interviews to tackle the problem holistically.

Data collection will begin Monday in the form of student interviews.

Lynn Williford, director of the Office of Institutional Research, and Larry Mayes, director of assessment at the office, are putting the subcommittees’ research questions into survey form.

Williford said she and Mayes are working to make sure the survey includes everything the subcommittees wish to address.

The faculty subcommittee spent time during its Thursday meeting parsing down the semantics of the survey to be distributed to the UNC faculty.

Members deliberately selected phrases such as “unfairly treated” instead of “discriminated against,” and “concept” instead of “definition” in order to avoid potential problems with negative connotations.

“We’ve eschewed trying to form a definition of diversity,” said Charles Daye, a professor in the School of Law.

“It’s more of a concept, a framework.”

Cookie Newsom, director of diversity education and research for the Office for Minority Affairs, said attaching a kind of “laundry list” definition to the word would prove exclusive.

The three subcommittees are creating surveys geared toward their respective respondents — those who are either students, staff members or faculty.

But all three subcommittees are working under the broad umbrella of the five core values passed down from the executive committee of the task force, said Sandra Hoeflich, associate dean for interdisciplinary education.

These five core values include a vision and commitment to diversity, the presence of diversity on campus, the educational benefits of diversity, the promotion of responsible interactions regarding diversity and the promotion of a supportive climate for diversity.

Williford said that data collection is slated to end mid-February.

Once her office provides a summary of the data, the task force is charged with making recommendations for further study and action.