Saturday, Sept. 28, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Town Council sets goals for new year

Online exclusive

2004 was a productive year for the Chapel Hill Town Council, as the town’s governing body completed many of the goals it set for itself last January.

Joint planning with Durham, establishing a dedicated funding source for storm water management, and enacting the bicycle and pedestrian improvement action plan are some of the goals the council met last year.

“It’s nice to have the opportunity to see how much progress we’ve made in the past several years,” said council member Mark Kleinschmidt after Thursday’s annual planning retreat.

The council compiles and prioritizes its goals for the year ahead at the retreat.

Several projects from last year will be carried over into this year’s agenda. Some of those projects include finding an affordable housing funding source, developing an affordable housing incentive program, and the development of downtown parking lots 2 and 5.

“I’m excited about what the council has taken on for the year and for the next several,” Kleinschmidt said.

A transit master plan is in the works for this year. It will look at potential traffic configurations 20 to 30 years in the future.

Another top priority is a tree ordinance. Such a resolution would consider protection of trees on private property and ban clear-cutting through amendments to the Land-Use Management Ordinance.

A first priority for this year will be a plan to end and prevent homelessness.

Impact fees, which would affect parks and recreation, and solid waste management are also high priorities.

Kleinschmidt said the most challenging of the goals would be the redevelopment of the parking lots and homelessness.

Parking lot 2, behind Spanky’s restaurant, and parking lot 5, across from University Square, would be redeveloped into mixed-use facilities under current plans.

The final list of goals will be compiled by Town Manager Cal Horton and presented at the Jan. 24 council meeting.

Kleinschmidt said he is confident that if the goals are accomplished, they will have a positive impact on the area.

“Town Council has an ambitious set of goals and has recommitted itself to making Chapel Hill a wonderful place to live.”