Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

KASA shares Korean culture, food

As Korean rap music blared in the background, six members of the Carolina Tae Kwon Do Club performed in the Great Hall of the Student Union for an audience of more than 150 people for KoreaNite 2005 on Saturday.

In one stunt, three students bent over to make a human bridge as one student held a wooden board with both hands. From backstage, another student ran, jumped over the bridge and kicked the wooden board into two pieces.

As the performance progressed, the audience erupted with screams, whistles and applause.

KoreaNite 2005, sponsored by the Korean American Students Association, provided a diverse group of students, families and community members the opportunity to experience the Korean culture through dinner and entertainment.

Trey Mack, a junior physics major, said he was excited to attend KoreaNite for the second time.

“(The night allows) Korean American students on campus (to) have a chance to share their culture,” he said.

The night kicked off at 6 p.m. with a dinner in which those in attendance sat at white-lined tables and talked as they took part in an evening of Korean culture.

“It’s my culture,” said Jenny Kim, a sophomore chemistry major. “(The event is significant because it is) a chance to show people our culture.”

Plates were packed high with traditional Korean cuisine. Dishes included bap (rice), kimchee (fermented cabbage), bulgogi (Korean BBQ) and dubu buchim (fried tofu).

After dinner, the lights dimmed, and the entire hall was transformed into a Korean market.

As audience members followed KASA Vice President Day Kim and KASA member Daniel Chun, they experienced traditional as well as modern Korean culture through different forms of entertainment.

There was a fashion show, movie skit, tae kwon do demonstration, karaoke and music, including traditional drumming by the Poongmul band, folk music and Korean rapping.

Sam Chin, a sophomore pharmacy major, said his favorite part of the evening was the Korean rapping.

“They show a different aspect of Korean culture, the modernization of it,” Chin said.

The show ended with students from UNC’s dance group, Kamikazi, dancing to Korean rap as well as other current songs such as Usher’s “Caught Up” and Snoop Dogg’s “Drop It Like It’s Hot.”

Chin said the event was definitely something students should attend every year.

“There is good Korean food,” Chin said.

“You learn about Korean culture and you meet new people,” he said. “It’s once a year, so if you miss it, you have to wait another year to see it again.”