Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Library takes break from silence

Stone Center hosts event to showcase its collection

The quiet idyll of the University’s most secret study spot was broken Tuesday afternoon — but instead of ring tones or less-than-academic conversations, it was the librarians themselves who broke the silence.

The Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History hosted an opening reception for its library, which opened its doors to students in September.

Filling the normally quiet and secluded study spot were guest librarians, faculty, staff, students and administrators who nibbled on fruit and browsed the books.

Raquel Cogell, the center’s librarian, left her position at Emory University in Atlanta for the opportunity to start a new library at UNC.

For Cogell, the opportunity to work at the Stone Center library was the opportunity to “build something that will last for many years to come.”

A number of the shelves in the library are half full with about 7,000 books devoted to Africa, the African diaspora and African-American writers. Some are empty — testimony to the growing nature of the collection.

Cogell said that she is looking forward to collaborating with the libraries at Duke University and N.C. Central University, and that she also wants to start collecting rare books.

“I would love to make a destination collection,” she said. “I really want to make this the first place people think about.”

She considered the Martin Luther King Jr. birthday poetry reading — an event that brought together students and faculty who read original writings in honor of King in January — a great success. Cogell said she would like to put together similar programs in the future.

“I really enjoy that part of my job,” she said.

Joseph Jordan, director of the Stone Center, said that without the funding and support, there would be “a nice little comic book collection in here.”

Jordan touted the library’s quiet atmosphere and resources as a great place for students.

“We’re the best-kept secret on campus,” he said. “Those (students) that have discovered us have said to us, ‘Please don’t tell anyone.’”

But Jordan said that although the library is open, the center’s work isn’t done. “The purpose of a library is to serve,” he said. “I want to see lines of people outside the building.”

University librarian Sarah Michalak emphasized the facility’s resources in both technology and programming.

“This center is a bringing-together place,” Michalak said.

Jordan said many centers for Afro-American studies are small and not incorporated into the University’s library system.

“This is a real coup d’etat,” said Archie Ervin, director of the Office of Minority Affairs.

During the afternoon, while the festivities buzzed, students who were studying peeped over the cubicles they were seated behind.

Francinia McKeithan, a freshman, spent Tuesday afternoon at work in the library.

She said she discovered the area last semester and uses it to study. “It’s so quiet and peaceful. It’s such a nice spot.”

McKeithan has worked in libraries since elementary school, and she said she likes the new facility.

“It’s really nice,” she said. “It’s new to everyone, so you’re learning with everyone.”