Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

New process to ease registration

Extra registration hours might make registering for summer school more convenient for students this year.

A new program called Midnight Registration will debut March 21, extending hours of operation to facilitate a more open process for students. In addition to regular hours from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., students will be able to register from 11 p.m. to 2 a.m.

“We are trying to accommodate students’ schedules more,” said Janet Gautier, director of administration for summer school.

James Murphy, dean of summer school, proposed the idea. He originally wanted registration to last 24 hours.

“We want to serve students,” he said. “Give them access to classes that they need in order to obtain a degree.”

The University offers two summer school sessions that provide students the opportunity to take classes in more than 60 disciplines. Gautier said approximately 7,000 students participate in the first session and 6,000 participate in the second session each summer.

During the past 10 years, almost 73 percent of students who have graduated with a bachelor’s degree participated in at least one summer session.

Snehi Bhatt, a freshman who is considering attending summer school, said she thinks the new program is a good idea because students constantly think about and plan their schedules. She said it would be nice to have the flexibility to make changes whenever a new plan emerges.

“Adding hours is good,” she said. “If you think you want to do something else in the middle of the night, that would be good to have.”

Mary Greer, a senior math major, also said she thought extending hours is a good idea.

“I would like to know that I had the option to use it if I needed it,” she said.

But some students don’t see the need for changes to the current program.

Louis Padgett, a senior art and English double major, said he likes the program the way it is. He said the new hours would not accommodate his schedule because he works late at night.

“Summer school is a wonderful program,” Padgett said. “They should not be changing or adding to the program.”

If the midnight hours are a success for summer school, Gautier said, the Office of the Registrar might consider extending hours for semester registrations.

“This is something different,” Gautier said. “It may work and it may not work. We’re not losing anything by giving it a try.”