Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Nonresidents pay tab when leaders cut funds

Out-of-state students pay more than the cost of attending the University, and the difference might make up for reduced state funds, experts say.

The estimated cost of education at a U.S. public institution is $15,626 each year, according to the National Association of College and University Business Officers. Nonresident students at UNC pay $16,303 in tuition, and there is a proposal on the table to raise that amount by $950. Resident students, in comparison, pay $3,205, with the state legislature picking up the rest of their tab.

But a tight state budget has led to cuts in funding during recent years, and universities might be using out-of-state tuition to supplement that loss, said Jon Young, Fayetteville State University’s associate vice chancellor for enrollment management.

“Out-of-state students are bearing a bigger burden of the cost than in-state students and the state combined,” Young said.

The state’s commitment to providing an education for its residents produces a concern for keeping resident, but not nonresident, tuition low, he said.

The elevated tuition is not a subsidy in the sense that individual out-of-state payments are transferred to in-state student accounts, but extra money from nonresidents does alleviate overall costs when state subsidies aren’t enough, Young said.

UNC-CH is in a special position to demand increased funds from out-of-state students, Young said.

“How much does it cost to build an automobile, and how does that compare to the sticker price?” he said. “Let’s face it, part of what you’re paying for is that prestigious institution.”

Many out-of-staters find UNC-CH more affordable than the universities in their home states, especially those hit earlier by budget woes, said Thomas Conway Jr., N.C. State University’s vice provost for enrollment management and services.

But when tuition gets so high that it prevents system schools from attracting nonresident students, enrollment growth will probably halt or reverse, he said.

FSU always has raised both sets of tuition by the same dollar figure or percentage when increases were made, Young said, because the out-of-state population has been too small to differentiate from the larger student body.

East Carolina University officials report a profit-making tuition rate, said John Durham, ECU’s director of public affairs. The actual cost of an education at the school is $10,354, while out-of-staters pay $12,249.

But UNC-system officials say the actual cost of attendance at UNC-CH isn’t necessarily less than what out-of-state students pay.

The estimate of $15,626 omits significant costs including service deliveries from state agencies, said Claudia Odom, the UNC system’s assistant vice president for finance.

“It does provide a good number of factors, but it’s not inclusive of everything."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.