Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Panelists look to cross divide

A group of four Palestinians and four Israelis sailed to Antarctica in January 2004 to conquer an insurmountable mountain as a symbol of peace.

The expedition, “Breaking the Ice,” provided participants the opportunity to come together when they all reached the top of the peak. They named it “The Mountain of Israeli-Palestinian Friendship.”

“We wanted to go for an expedition that we could only finish together,” said expedition leader Doron Erel, an Israel-born professional mountain climber. “We are not two teams playing against each other. We are one team playing together.”

Four members of the expedition spoke about the experience to an audience of about 50 people Monday afternoon in Peabody Hall.

UNC’s School of Education, in partnership with the N.C. Outward Bound School, hosted the Palestinian-Israeli Peace Program to encourage the sharing of new ideas about peace and reconciliation, said Linda Baucom, communication specialist in the education school.

After showing a video about the expedition, participants in “Breaking the Ice” explained to students, faculty, staff and community members how the journey symbolized the two countries’ joining together to achieve peace.

“The idea at the end of the day was to create a symbol,” said Heskel Nathaniel, an Israeli who initiated the expedition.

Ziad Darwish, an Israel-born Palestinian journalist and expedition member, said he participated in the trip to fight against the conflict between his country and Israel.

“As a Palestinian, I know what suffering is,” Darwish said.

“This bloodshed is continuing over five decades, and I said to myself, ‘Someone has to (make a) move.’”

The “Breaking the Ice” program now is looking to establish programs for high school students, who they say can influence change in the world.

The program is working with the Outward Bound School to send 10 Palestinian and Israeli teenagers between the ages of 15 and 17 on an expedition to the North Carolina mountains next August.

Olfat Haider, a member of the “Breaking the Ice” expedition and counselor in the new program, said she is excited to be a part of the group.

Nathaniel said teenagers usually tend to separate themselves into cliques instead of building relationships and experiencing diversity.

“By that, they limit their possibilities to get to know each other,” Nathaniel said.

“(Students should go) on an adventure to go and get to know other people.”

Nathaniel said the experience will allow students the opportunity to go outside their comfort zones.

The panel told the audience that everyone should to do their part to achieve world peace.

“It’s up to the government to sign an agreement,” Nathaniel said, “and up to the people to make peace.”

Contact the University Editor at udesk@unc.edu.By Stacey Carless

Staff Writer