Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Police log

•  An N.C. State University engineering master’s student was arrested about 11:50 p.m. Saturday and charged with assault on a government official, damage to property and being drunk and disruptive — all misdemeanors — Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Jonathan Brodnax Bell, 23, of 3004 Brennan Drive in Raleigh, was being detained by a Players security guard in Amber Alley beneath the nightclub at 179 E. Franklin St.

Bell was extremely intoxicated and broke The Rathskeller’s front glass display case, reports state.

When officers tried to detain him, he kicked one of them in the upper leg, reports state.

He was released and is schedule to appear April 11 in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

•  A UNC Hospitals nurse’s aide was arrested at 9 p.m. Saturday and charged with 20 counts of felony forgery of a prescription and one count of felony credit card fraud, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, LaShawn Marshall, 34, of 103 Gunston Court, was arrested at her home on warrants issued for 20 forged prescriptions for a total of 1,870 tablets over a two-month period.

She also was charged with unauthorized use of a credit card in excess of $500, reports state.

She was released on a written promise to appear at the first opportunity in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

•  A Chapel Hill man was arrested at 8 p.m. Saturday on Conner Drive and charged with two counts of felonious indecent liberties, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Brian Tucker, 35, of the streets of Chapel Hill, was a passenger of a red 1989 Honda Accord stopped for a seat belt violation.

Officers arrested him on warrants taken out Jan. 13, reports state.

He was taken to Orange County Jail to be held on a $2,000 secured bond. He is set to appear Tuesday in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

•  A UNC student was arrested at 3 a.m. Saturday at his residence at 110 Mistywood Circle U and charged with assault on a female, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Calvin Sylvester Churchill, 27, a junior economics major, struck his girlfriend in the face, causing minor injuries.

Drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident, reports state.

Churchill was taken to Orange County Jail and was not given bail. He will appear today in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

•  A UNC student was arrested at 1:36 a.m. Saturday and charged with driving while intoxicated, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, David Michael Cowan, 21, of 1742 Southpointe Drive in Morganton, was involved in a collision on Church Street in a gray 1998 Honda.

He refused to submit a breath sample, reports state.

He was released on a written promise to appear March 29 in Orange County District Criminal Court in Chapel Hill.

•  A UNC graduate student was arrested at 4:17 a.m. Saturday and charged with driving while intoxicated at 2321 N.C. 54 East, Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, Matthew Myers Griffith, 24, of 605 Airport Road Apt. 4, was arrested because he was in control of a suspicious blue 2004 Honda Civic parked at a Citgo station on Barbee Chapel Road.

His blood alcohol content was measured at 0.11 percent, reports state.

He was released on a written promise to appear March 29 in Administrative Traffic Court in Chapel Hill.

•  An red 1992 Isuzu Rodeo was reported stolen at 6:14 p.m. Saturday from 326 Brooks St., Chapel Hill police reports state.

According to reports, the auto, valued at $1,500, was last known to be secure at 7 p.m. Tuesday.

•  A green 1994 Toyota Tercel was reported stolen at 12:13 a.m. Sunday from a parking lot at University Mall, at 201 S. Estes Drive, Chapel Hill police reports state. The car was valued at $1,000, reports state.