Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Town looks at park plans

The details of a proposal to create what some town parks and recreation officials are already calling the area’s future “flagship park” became a little clearer Monday at a Chapel Hill Town Council public hearing.

The town will begin the development process for the 72-acre Southern Community Park, to be built adjacent to the Southern Village and Dogwood Acre developments off U.S. 15-501 South, as soon as the council approves a special-use permit for the land — scheduled for April 5.

The town hopes to construct about 5,000 square feet of building area, 229 parking spaces and several athletic fields.

Playgrounds, trails and a large dog park are also slated to be included in the park.

Kathryn Spatz, director of the town’s Parks and Recreation Department, said the park proposal represents the town’s last chance for a flagship park.

“The community — the town’s soccer community, in particular — is in desperate need of this,” she said. “And our department doesn’t have any space for, say, family reunions.”

Council members raised concerns about several aspects of the project to presenter Brian Starkey of OBS Landscape Architects during Monday’s hearing.

Council member Jim Ward feared that the lack of a new traffic signal along Dogwood Acre Drive could create a dangerous situation for younger parkgoers.

“As a parent of young kids, the first reaction I had was that (we needed) a pedestrian-activated traffic signal so I could cross with my child to the other side,” he told Starkey. “I hope you won’t write that off.”

The town Transportation Board included a signal in its recommendations to the council.

Concerns about a recycling center drove much of the discussion.

The center is one of several features the town added after the town’s Community Design Commission first reviewed the application in June.

“When you saw the plan in June, it was really just a blank corner,” Starkey said. “It’s been developed to a schematic level.”

But some council members said that level might be excessive.

“Here you have a big quadrant of the park taken over,” Mayor Kevin Foy said. “Why is it such a big chunk of land?”

Parking issues also raised a few eyebrows.

The town’s Greenways Commission advised the council to reduce the number of parking spots proposed to allow for parking groves that would shade portions of the lots.

But potential crowding and problems with the parking groves concept might eliminate that possibility, Town Manager Cal Horton said.

Chapel Hill voters began plans for the park in 1986 and 1989, when they approved bonds that were used to purchase the property.

County voters further set up funding for the park in 1997 and 2001.

If the council approves the permit, the town will submit its final plans to be reviewed by various town departments and outside agencies.

No date for the opening of the park has been set, Spatz said.