Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Cops start efforts to fill holes

Police seek funding for more officers

Although recent crimes have generated an outcry for more downtown protection, the Chapel Hill Police Department is trying first to plug up its holes.

The department is stepping up recruitment efforts in the hopes of filling its eight vacant officer positions — a move that might require more town funding.

In a March 23 public hearing, the department asked the town to consider allotting an extra $61,700 for retention incentives in the fiscal year 2005-06 budget, which will be presented in May.

Finance Director Kay Johnson said she could not comment on whether the town will approve the request because the council faces an already tight budget.

Town Manager Cal Horton had projected that rising costs from debt service, among other things, might necessitate a 10-cent property tax increase.

The department is slated to receive about $10 million in the town’s current budget drafts.

Additional funds would be used to increase tuition reimbursement and salary benefits for college-level education, according to the town’s preliminary budget report.

“We’re in an active recruiting process right now,” said Lt. Jackie Carden, who is in charge of recruitment.. “We’re visiting 15 different colleges and universities, and we are looking for that college degree. We are looking for that military experience.”

Carden said she thinks the town has plenty to offer incoming officers, such as job variety.

“A lot of people looking for diversity like a wide range of citizen problems, and they don’t want to be focused on responding to calls all the time.”

After a year of patrol experience, officers can move into more specialized areas, she said.

But Carden said Chapel Hill might not be keeping up with its neighbors in terms of financial benefits for police officials.

“A lot of the departments around us have bonuses for education, training or military experience,” she said. “Unfortunately, monetary incentives seem to work the best.”

Recent studies show Chapel Hill police officials make less, on average, than their counterparts in nearby communities.

“I know we’re pretty low on the totem pole right now,” Carden said.

A November 2004 study by Chapel Hill’s human resources department examined the salaries and benefits of town workers — including police chiefs, lieutenants and officers.

A Chapel Hill officer earns an average of $33,322 per year — more than $5,000 less than the average $38,729 salary of a University police officer.

Police lieutenants make about $3,000 less than the average salary of similar officers in other departments studied.

But in spite of the officer shortage and recent crimes — such as the Feb. 25 assault of a UNC junior, termed a hate crime, and a March 2 rape — the overall crime rate downtown has decreased during the last few years.

Police statistics show a 22 percent decrease in major crimes — including homicide, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, larceny and motor vehicle theft — from fiscal year 2001-02 to 2003-04.

Carden said she doesn’t think the low crime rate will necessarily affect recruitment.

“We have our share of serious crimes, and they’re looking for something that will be active.”

The police department is accepting applications through April 22.