Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Option of alcohol meets critique

A recent decision by a local economic-development board to explore allowing alcohol vendors at Chapel Hill’s summer concert series has come under fire from the Downtown Commission.

Commission Chairwoman Mary Jo Stone submitted a letter on behalf of the commission to Mayor Kevin Foy last week cautioning that the proposed changes might alter the event’s family-oriented atmosphere.

“I think it will totally change the nature of the concerts,” commission member Charles House said.

The commission organized the concert series until the creation of the Downtown Economic Development Corporation last summer. The DEDC received the town funding previously earmarked for the commission.

Commission member Pat Evans called the timing of the discussion terrible in light of recent efforts to curb underage drinking.

She said she is skeptical of the viewpoint that serving alcohol would attract more people to the event.

“It’s not like we don’t have any places that serve alcohol downtown,” Evans said.

This year’s series is scheduled to start around June 23, with one concert each week until August.

If alcohol is included at the events, it will likely be provided by an outside vendor, DEDC members have said.

Harris Inc., an Anheuser-Busch distributor in Durham, has expressed interest in the concert series and has been in contact with town officials, said Jim Hanson, the company’s sales manager.

Hanson said that similar events in Durham and Raleigh have been successful and have not featured any security breaches.

In addition to selling alcohol, a company would likely help arrange for and fund the musical acts.

Stone’s letter to Foy also addressed a concern about the plan to move the series from McCorkle Place — the venue for the last few years — to a downtown parking lot in order to increase benefits for other downtown businesses.

Evans said that although the event has taken place at several different locations over the years, the “best location with the best availability to town citizens and students was the site at McCorkle Place.”

The idea of a large gathering of people baking over black asphalt in the hot summer sun is not a very enticing option compared with a shady, green courtyard, Evans said.

The commission’s role in the debate might reflect its transition from a fully funded organization to an advocacy group without the resources to tackle bigger projects.

“Now, because we have no funding, we have to focus on being an organization that communicates with downtown businesses and people and advocates on their behalf,” Evans said.

Despite the current disagreement, she added, it is important that the commission work with the DEDC to support a downtown that will undergo substantial change for years to come.

“We have a great downtown,” Evans said. “But we also have some cracks. Those of us who work with the downtown and care about it want to make sure that those cracks don’t become crevices.”