Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC looks to sweep Tigers

Game and Time: No. 2 North Carolina vs. Clemson. Tipoff is at noon

Site: MCI Center.

TV/Radio: The game will be televised nationally by ESPN2 and regionally by Raycom/Jefferson Pilot. The Tar Heel Sports Network will provide radio coverage; the broadcast will air on 100.7 FM and WCHL-AM 1360.

Records: North Carolina is 26-3, 14-2 in the ACC. Clemson is 16-14, 6-11 in the ACC.

Series: North Carolina leads 115-19.

Probable Starters:

North Carolina

G: Raymond Felton, 6-1 JR

G: Melvin Scott, 6-2 SR

F: Jackie Manuel, 6-5 SR

F: Jawad Williams, 6-9 SR

C: Sean May, 6-9 JR

Clemson

G: Vernon Hamilton, 6-0 SO

G: Cliff Hammonds, 6-3 FR

F: Sam Perry, 6-5 FR

F: Olu Babalola, 6-6 SR

C: Sharrod Ford, 6-9 SR

Key Matchup: Clemson’s Sharrod Ford against North Carolina’s Sean May.

The only Tiger to start all 30 of Clemson’s games this year, Sharrod Ford was averaging 15.3 points and 8.3 rebounds per game entering the tournament.

Those are solid, respectable numbers — ones that befit the inside presence and No. 1 scoring option on a 16-14 squad that averages 71.3 points per game.

Ford has been solid all season.

But during the last eight games, Sean May has been dominant — there’s no other way to put it.

The UNC junior has logged eight consecutive double-doubles, including a monstrous 26-point, 24-rebound effort against Duke the last time out.

By posting an average of 20.3 points and 14.9 rebounds per game during the stretch, May has given J.J. Redick significant competition for ACC Player of the Year honors.

Ford needs to stop May if Clemson wishes to entertain realistic hopes of disrupting UNC’s quest to win the ACC tournament title.

He won’t be able to.

Final Analysis/Prediction: Clemson enters the game scoring 18 points less per contest than UNC.

The Tigers need someone to step up and bridge that scoring deficit for them to pull off the upset.

And guard Shawan Robinson — who exploded for 24 points on 5-of-6 shooting from behind the arc in Clemson’s 84-72 first round victory against Maryland — could be that someone.

North Carolina enters this game riding high after its thrilling win against Duke to close out the regular season as ACC champions. However, seniors Jawad Williams, Jackie Manuel and Melvin Scott have said that the regular-season title is just the beginning. And star guard Rashad McCants might see action for the first time in four games after resuming practice Wednesday. Don’t look for a letdown.

The Bottom Line: North Carolina 83, Clemson 61.

— Compiled by Ben Couch