Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Bill would alter BOG

Size, term lengths to be considered

The structure of the UNC system’s governing board could see significant changes under a bill filed Monday in the General Assembly.

Rep. Phillip Haire’s proposed changes would reduce the size of the Board of Governors by two members, lengthen terms from four to six years and eliminate the emeritus members who now serve on the BOG without a vote.

The Jackson County Democrat’s proposal comes as state legislators look to finish the process of appointing 16 members to the board. He was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

BOG Chairman Brad Wilson said the expansion to six-year terms will help the board be more effective.

“(A six-year term) brings greater stability, continuity and takes out some of the process,” he said. “You would only have to run two times and not three times.”

Wilson estimated that it takes new board members 18 months to learn the often complex, nuanced processes of state universities. That leaves them only 2 1/2 years left to operate as “old pros” before they must run for re-election.

Under the plan, the House and Senate still would split the duty of electing BOG members.

Another proposed change would eliminate the seats of the board’s two emeritus members, who draw on previous experiences with the board to serve as advisors.

Former N.C. Gov. Jim Holshouser and former BOG Chairman Ben Ruffin are allowed a seat but not a vote in board decisions.

Wilson said the move likely is meant to help streamline the board and cut costs. But he added that Ruffin and Holshouser provide valuable leadership and experience.

“They bring an institutional memory and a wealth of experience to any conversation the board undertakes,” Wilson said. “The emeriti members that I have known are opinion leaders because of the contribution they have previously made.”

The decision to eliminate the emeritus seats on the board would also affect Wilson’s future. As the outgoing BOG chairman, he is guaranteed one of those seats in four years if he chooses to take it.

But Wilson said he is comfortable with allowing the General Assembly to decide the future of the position.

“Whatever they think is in the best interest of the board, I would be completely satisfied with their decision,” Wilson said.

The bill also would reduce the BOG’s size from 32 to 30.

It’s the latest in a series of efforts to reduce the board’s size, a move favored by some legislative leaders, including Senate Majority Leader Tony Rand, D-Cumberland.

But UNC-system lobbyist Mark Fleming does not anticipate that it will make waves.

“I don’t know that would be that big of a change,” he said.

But Fleming said he thinks the legislature should not act on Haire’s bill until it hears from the legislative Board of Governors study committee, which is in the process of scrutinizing the group’s existing practices.

“This study committee has been looking into it for the past few years,” he said.

“Those recommendations need to come from a committee like that, and they have not made any recommendations for changes.”

Haire’s bill, which has yet to be introduced on the House floor, is the second this session calling for changes in BOG procedure.

The first was proposed April 7 by Rep. Mickey Michaux, D-Durham. His reform focuses on the board’s election procedure.

The two bills came as a bit of a surprise to Fleming, who cited the absence of recommendations from the study commission as an indicator that the system is healthy.

“North Carolina has … strong governance that works well,” he said. “That’s why we have such a good, strong university.”

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu.