Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Carrboro considers housing code

Move puts code into compliance

As Carrboro moves toward its larger development goals, town leaders are addressing the nuts and bolts of specific housing rules.

The Board of Aldermen on Tuesday night unanimously approved a new housing chapter of the Town Code and an amendment to its Land Use Ordinance.

Both items came under fire during recent public hearings, when speakers raised concerns about wording inaccuracies and unclear requirements.

The new Chapter 17 — titled Minimum Housing Code— codifies ordinances found elsewhere and brings town housing rules into compliance with state provisions.

“Most of what you see here is a modest update of the existing housing code,” said Town Attorney Michael Brough. “This puts them all on one shelf.”

The housing code had not been extensively updated since 1978.

But not everyone is happy with the unified rules: A few of the changes were criticized at a March 22 public hearing.

Carrboro resident Robert Kirschner questioned the purpose of the changes and raised a variety of concerns, among them a requirement that buildings damaged by fire be required to have sprinkler systems.

“I know back in 2003, your concern was protecting tenants and holding landlords to their responsibilities. I’m concerned that it’s gone beyond that,” Kirschner said to the aldermen.

In March, Kirschner and the aldermen questioned the circumstances that should require that sprinkler systems be installed and the costs incurred.

Town Fire Chief Rodney Murray said the Orange Water and Sewer Authority does not charge a fee for standing water, which is needed for a sprinkler system.

“It’s helping us be more proactive in getting sprinklers installed,” Murray said.

Fire department volunteers install sprinkler systems in Habitat for Humanity houses for about $1,000, he added.

Kirschner was pleased to have some of his worries addressed, but said the code creates a disparity between types of homeowners.

In the aldermen’s Feb. 22 meeting, proposed changes to the land use ordinances — including the definitions of several types of group homes — upset area mental health workers.

The purpose of the changes is to make town code equivalent to the federal Fair Housing Act and N.C. general statutes.

While state law includes “dangerous to others” in its definition of group homes for children and adults, several speakers found the term to be unduly inflammatory.

Judy Truitt, Orange-Person-Chatham Foundation for Mental Health interim area director, wrote a letter to the aldermen suggesting a wording change.

The amendment adopts the language Truitt suggested in her letter.