Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

City briefs

Town Council bestows praise on men’s basketball team

The Chapel Hill Town Council delayed several key discussions and decisions Monday night but had time to congratulate the UNC men’s basketball team on its 2005 NCAA title.

Mayor Pro Tem Edith Wiggins read a proclamation recognizing the team’s achievement.

“Victory was achieved by the team, Coach Roy Williams and the staff … through its talented skills, hard work, united effort and rousing play,” she said. “The Tar Heels have brought honor upon themselves, UNC-Chapel Hill, the town of Chapel Hill and the state of North Carolina.”

Residents raise concerns about local Habitat project

A Habitat for Humanity project off Sunrise Road has been met with opposition from a group of nearby residents.

A memo from Doug Schworer, president of the Sunrise Coalition, states that the group opposes the approval of $70,000 for predevelopment costs of the Habitat community, Sunrise Ridge.

The memo is being forwarded to the Department of Housing and Urban Development as public comment, after being discussed at a March 23 meeting of the Chapel Hill Town Council.

Since the approval of the Habitat project, the coalition has expressed concerns about problems with housing density and noise level.

Carrboro board seeks to attract new businesses

The Carrboro Board of Aldermen is looking at ways to attract new businesses to the town.

The board will meet at 7:30 p.m. today at Carrboro Town Hall to discuss possible ways to improve its economic community.

The board also will look at opportunities for commercial zoning in the northern area of the town, including areas recently annexed by the town. The board will discuss how this land will interact with the Carolina North property.