Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Civic volunteers garner accolades

Local officials agree that volunteer citizens help make area government work.

The importance of those municipal liaisons is being highlighted this week as part of National Volunteer Week.

To celebrate the week, the town of Chapel Hill recognized town residents Tuesday who serve on its 17 advisory boards and commissions.

“People who volunteer their time are in many ways taken for granted,” said Mayor Kevin Foy.

With about 40 vacancies on the town’s standing boards and commissions, current volunteer members stressed the importance of residents getting involved.

“It takes a lot of input to really go in the right direction,” said library trustees Chairman Bob Schreiner.

And Chapel Hill residents are not alone in recognizing the importance of volunteers who serve on boards and commissions.

Monica Evans, assistant to the clerk of the Orange County Board of Commissioners, said community participation is key to the county’s success.

“It would be almost impossible for the five commissioners to attend every (board and commission) meeting,” she said.

Commissioners adopted a resolution at Tuesday’s meeting that praised volunteers for their work on some of the county’s almost 60 boards and commissions.

Carrboro Town Clerk Sarah Williamson said there are about 125 citizens serving on her town’s 10 permanent advisory boards.

There are vacancies in eight of those groups, including the board of adjustment and the cable television and arts committees, according to the town Web site.

Florry Glasser, program coordinator of the Orange County Democratic Women, said filling such vacancies is no easy task.

“We want to find quality candidates that really believe in good government,” she said.

Glasser said it is important to find qualified applicants, regardless of their gender. But she added that increasing the role of women on boards and commissions is an important goal for her organization.

“When policy is made, women, along with men, need a place at the table,” she said.

University senior Anup Dashputre, who serves on the town’s transportation advisory board, said students also deserve a voice in town discussions.

“It’s almost like there are two Chapel Hills: the Chapel Hill of the citizens and the Chapel Hill of the students,” he said.

Council member Mark Kleinschmidt said that despite recent pushes for increased student involvement, the changing dynamics of the student body make it difficult for council members to address students’ ever-changing concerns.

But he stressed that the sitting council has no objection to appointing students to the various groups.

Dashputre also noted the importance of student and nonstudent involvement.

“Local government impacts your day-to-day life more than just about anything.”