Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Council to take up alcohol proposal

Corporation wants a May 9 decision

Members of a local economic group are watching in anticipation as their petition to legalize the sale of alcohol on town property makes its way toward approval.

The Downtown Economic Development Corporation presented the petition, which would allow for the sale and consumption of alcohol at specific community events, to the Chapel Hill Town Council early this month.

Corporation members have voiced support for alcohol sales, viewing them as a way to increase attendance at downtown events and to boost economic opportunities for businesses across town.

“We want the town to look at the ordinance so that this is an option,” corporation chairwoman Andrea Rohrbacher said. “With the current situation, we can’t even consider it.”

The petition asks the council to slate the issue for final consideration May 9.

“I suspect the council’s willing to consider any idea that comes out of the DEDC,” said council member Mark Kleinschmidt.

The town is a key funding source for the corporation, which was formed last July and includes representatives from the town, University and downtown business sector.

While serving alcohol is not always appropriate, Kleinschmidt said, offering it at certain community events would create an environment adult crowds would enjoy.

“When you try to make every event fun for a 7-year-old, often only 7-year-olds have fun,” he said.

But Kleinschmidt added that the council needs to consider a variety of issues before it can make a final decision.

Rohrbacher said she has been pleased thus far with the council’s response to the petition.

“I see this as a sign that’s a potential for approval, because it’s not townwide,” Rohrbacher said.

Under the ordinance, alcohol would only be approved at select events restricted to the Wallace Parking Deck on Rosemary Street and town parking lots 2 and 5.

The events’ sponsors would be responsible for upholding certain standards set by the town to ensure an event’s safety and dignity.

“As we proposed it, the sponsor of the event would be responsible for paying for security,” said town attorney Ralph Karpinos.

The corporation-sponsored summer events advisory committee is planning a summer event series, which could include both movies and concerts, in the hopes of increasing the downtown’s vitality. The idea of providing alcohol at the series was the catalyst for the petition.

The committee now plans to keep this year’s series alcohol- and smoke-free but thinks alcohol might be sold at future events.

“All this does is it gives an option to talk to the sponsors,” Rohrbacher said. “It would be a money-making event.”