Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

County schools hope to add subject specialists

With jobs ranging from textbook selection to staff development, city schools’ subject-area coordinators are considered an invaluable tool.

And county schools are trying to hone in on this resource by requesting funds to create their own specialist positions for the coming year.

Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools boast a science and math coordinator and an English/language arts coordinator. “Their whole job really is focused on schools and supporting teachers,” said Kim Hoke, city schools’ spokeswoman.

“They recommend new strategies and approaches for the classroom,” Hoke said of the coordinators, who use their expertise in a particular subject area to help teachers implement programs.

While she works primarily in the district’s central office, English/Language Arts Coordinator Mary Clayton said she still spends a lot of time at the schools. “I do a lot of classroom observation,” she said.

Clayton noted that one benefit of her job is that specialists are able to see the entire subject area for the district from a broad perspective.

They then work with teachers to find the best programs for district children, Hoke said.

“It’s just helping teachers with materials and resources,” science and math coordinator Darlene Ryan said of her job. “The issue becomes that math and science are both areas where there is a high amount of accountability.”

County schools officials hope to see two similar positions added to their staff arsenal in the near future.

On the second draft of its fiscal year 2005-06 budget, the Orange County Board of Education has requested one language arts and social studies specialist or literacy specialist, as well as a science and math specialist.

The requests follow the release of a report, conducted by Professor Madeleine Grumet of UNC’s School of Education, stating that city schools have more funds to spend on resources like specialists.

The specialists, each estimated to cost about $66,000, would be a component of county schools’ administration but likely would work in the schools in a similar way to that in which city schools’ specialists function.

As an alternative to the language arts and social studies specialist, county schools also are considering hiring a literacy specialist who is trained in a literacy collaborative program.

Anne D’Annunzio, spokeswoman for county schools, said this person would instruct teachers on the best ways to teach in their content area.

The specialist also would likely work with all grade levels because the district’s literacy program needs more support, she said.

“This is where we’re trying to think carefully about what we’re asking for and how we’re using our resources,” D’Annunzio said.

The county school board will consider these requests and others at a public hearing on its budget priorities April 25 at 6 p.m. at Cedar Ridge High School.

Budget requests are due in May to the Orange County Board of Commissioners, which will discuss Grumet’s comparison of city and county schools tonight.