Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

County to take part in study

NCDOT to eye transportation

Officials said Tuesday that when it comes to providing mass transit to the countryside, Orange County is a leader.

The praise came as the Board of Commissioners gave its consent for the county to participate in a state-funded survey of transportation in Orange, Durham and Wake counties.

The survey intends to discover whether consolidating the counties’ transportation programs might allow for more efficient services for all residents.

County leaders seemed sure that as far as efficient service now goes, Orange County is tops.

“The Orange County system is the much more efficient of the three,” County Manager John Link told commissioners.

But it was more than good reviews that convinced the commissioners to support the study.

The survey will come at no cost to the county, a perk that Link emphasized. The N.C. Department of Transportation will fund the study.

“They pretty much want to pursue (the study) because we have a number of community transportation systems, some of which, like ours, are efficient, some of which are not,” Link said of NCDOT.

Link also pointed out that the county will be in no way bound to action if the study comes back in favor of combining systems and if the county opposes such a move.

“We make it clear in the resolution we are asking you to adopt tonight that Orange County will examine the results of the study … and you will decide,” he said.

Commissioner Alice Gordon said she sees no problem in supporting the plan.

“You don’t have to do the consolidation, and DOT will pay for the study, so I don’t really see any downside except it will take your time to pursue this issue.”

Shortly after her statement, the motion passed unanimously.

Area officials had come to the meeting to speak on the plan, but due to the length of the meeting, their testimony was foregone in favor of Link’s brief explanation.

After the meeting, however, all involved expressed enthusiasm for the study.

“I think it’s a push toward the future for mass transit,” said Al Terry, supervisor of Orange County Public Transportation.

County transportation Director Jerry Passmore supported the survey, saying transportation services for the disabled already cross county lines with regularity.

Sanford Cross, the Triangle J Council of Governments’ public transportation program coordinator, said the area easily could become a model for those looking to improve transportation.

“When you start looking at the position in this area and then you start looking at other areas of the state, there’s a lot of potential,” Cross said.

Terry also reiterated the county’s front-runner status in the transportation it provides to rural areas.

“We are one of the most efficient rural operating counties in the state and by far the most efficient of the three counties that were selected for the survey.”