Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Floral flair blooms in town

Downtown plots available to adopt

Local businesses and residents can bring out the shovels and hoes during this year’s planting season, thanks to a downtown improvement plan.

The brick-bordered planters can be seen along Franklin and Columbia streets and are part of the Flower Box Project.

The project is coordinated by Roland Giduz and allows residents to adopt a box and maintain its gardening duties.

“People pay a one-time fee of $25 to adopt a box,” Giduz said. “It’s then the adopter’s responsibility to buy and plant flowers for the box.”

Giduz said that of the 62 boxes available in the downtown area, 40 to 50 have been adopted since the project was initiated in 1994.

Some of the boxes in which the town has planted trees in fresh topsoil are now up for first-time adoption.

The project stemmed from the Streetscape initiative, a downtown construction and design plan, said Pat Evans, member of the Chapel Hill Downtown Commission and Friends of Downtown.

“People thought it would be nice if flowers were planted here as well,” Evans said.

The planters were paid for with bond money, but the town could not afford planting and maintenance for the flowers, she said. There also is a grant application in the works that would help cover costs for watering the flower beds.

The boxes are adopted mostly by individuals, but businesses have adopted some as well, Evans said.

Chapel Hill resident Paul Ransford adopted a flower box in front of Hector’s on East Franklin Street with his two granddaughters two months ago.

He filled their miniature downtown garden with a variety of flowers, including hostes, phlox, cannis and azaleas.

Ransford said that every time he walks by the floral bed with his granddaughters, they say, “Pop-pop, there’s our flower box.”

“It’s a great way to give back and beautify the town, and it’s something to enjoy later on,” he said.

“It’s a great way to be connected to the town and the campus.”

Ransford also said adopting a flower box is different from paying taxes and expecting the city to do the job because the project allows locals to make a direct difference in their community and show good citizenship.

“The boxes also have metal labels where people have quoted Shakespeare or their grandma,” Giduz said.

Business officials on Franklin and Columbia streets agree that the project is a good idea.

“The flowers are great — they’ve been here for at least five years and are very attractive,” said Neil Newcomb, owner of McAlister’s Deli at 205 E. Franklin St.

Greg Turner, manager of Johnny T-shirt at 128 E. Franklin St., said he finds it interesting to see people gardening on Franklin Street.

“It’s nice to see the community go out there and tend to stuff instead of just the town,” he added.

Ransford said the initiative is a typical Chapel Hill idea.

“It’s a symbol of a progressive community to get people involved.”

For more information about the Flower Box Project, call Giduz at 942-2194.