Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Grappling with genocide

Correction

Due to a reporting error, the April 15 article “Grappling with genocide” states that students at a rally on campus were lobbying for amendments to the Darfur Accountability Act, or U.S. Senate Bill 495. The amendments were actually to 2005’s emergency supplemental spending bill.

More than 250 students came face to face with images of brutality, suffering and death in Polk Place on Thursday afternoon.

And the message — to spark awareness and to rally against the Darfur, Sudan, crisis — conveyed a sense of urgency that invaded the once-peaceful quad.

“It’s one of those issues you can’t say ‘no’ to,” said Julia Marden, member of Students United for Darfur Awareness Now. “No one is pro-genocide.”

Students stood to shed light on the Sudan crisis that has resulted in more than 350,000 deaths and the displacement of more than 2 million people.

“Our aim was two-fold,” said Matt Craig, event organizer and SUDAN member. “There are still a number of people on campus and in the community who just don’t know about the situation in Darfur. We hope to expose people to what’s going on and to show them that they do have a voice.”

Students held signs with facts about the genocide and phone numbers of local politicians. The demonstrators urged students to call in to support two recently proposed amendments to the Darfur Accountability Act, which calls for the government to help end the genocide and bring a return to normalcy in the war-torn nation.

A recent addition to the Darfur Accountability Act proposes adding $53 million to strengthen the African Union mission in Darfur and $40 million for additional disaster aid.

“The point of the rally is that there are amendments that should be passed,” said Tim Phillips, a sophomore participant. “We need to sign petitions and call senators today to let them know what we’re all about and to show them the sense of urgency.”

After standing in Polk Place for two hours, students walked to the Pit to place the images, along with their signatures supporting the end of the crisis, on a 60-foot banner.

“It’s not whether the information is out there, it’s whether or not people receive it,” Craig said. “The idea of having pictures is so that students are forced to walk through it. It will open people’s eyes and ears.”

Abdalla Adam, director of relief and development for the Darfur Peace and Development Fund, concluded the rally by speaking about the crisis situation and praising the students for their compassion and awareness of the issue.

“Student activism is really the key to success,” Adam said.

He said human rights and educational issues in the west African nation need to be addressed because of the inhumane conditions under which the children of Darfur must live.

“We are trying to build a bridge between the United States and the needy children in Darfur so that they will know who is really helping them and so that they will remember that for the rest of their lives,” Adam said. “That will build a better human relationship around the world.”

Last week, SUDAN set up a mock refugee camp and co-sponsored a fund-raising dinner and speech with the Campus Y to draw attention to the situation in Darfur.

Proceeds from this week’s events will benefit Darfur Peace and Development Fund and the Genocide Intervention Fund.

Junior Andrea Yuen said she came to the event because she wanted to support the cause.

“I just want to do my part to make change,” she said. “Every person, every little thing can do something.”

Craig said participants wrote more than 900 letters and made 124 phone calls to senators within the two-hour rally period.

“I hope that through the number of people that come out, we will show that UNC students do care,” Craig said. “We’ll put some rhetoric behind the meaning ‘never again.’”