Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Locals gather to Chill

People turned out in droves to wander Franklin Street on Sunday, but there wasn’t a bonfire in sight. Despite law enforcement concerns about tussles that might be sparked by such a large crowd, the 34th annual Apple Chill festival brought thousands to downtown Chapel Hill to shop, eat and bask in the spring sunshine.

On April 4, the downtown area saw the pinnacle of post-championship mayhem. In contrast, Sunday afternoon’s family-oriented crowd was subdued — and the town was happy to play host.

“I like it myself because it brings people downtown,” Frank Ryan, owner of The Pita Pit, said of the event. “The dynamics are different, the crowds are different. The championship was crazy.”

The street was packed with merchants selling everything from funnel cakes to homemade science project kits, performers of all kinds showing off their talents and a variety of organizations garnering support for their causes.

While many locals grew up going to Apple Chill, some festivalgoers experienced the event for the first time this weekend.

“This is my first year, and I wanted to see what Apple Chill was all about,” said Raleigh resident Cynthia Cotton. “There’s really stuff for all ages.”

University alumnus Sterling Hayden remembers the festival from his student days. He travels to it annually from Durham with his two young children, who played in the Kid Zone on Sunday.

“I come to Apple Chill every year,” he said. “It’s pretty much the same, just a lot bigger. It’s a nice little family outing.”

Cloggers young and old took center stage for the 30th anniversary of a festival institution, the Apple Chill Cloggers. Though the group got its start at Apple Chill, members now travel to perform at festivals throughout the country and the world.

“There’s such a warmth here. People are reconnecting with the past,” Pam Timmons said.

She helped sell Apple Chill Cloggers T-shirts while her daughter, the youngest member of the group, performed on stage. Clogger alumni gathered from around the country to celebrate the anniversary, Timmons said.

West Franklin Street was lined with motorcycles, hosted for the second year by the N.C. Divas Motorcycle Club. The all-female club, based in Greensboro, raises funds for the Women’s Resource Center there.

“It’s the kickoff of riding season, and the weather is good,” said Essence Parham, public relations representative for the club.

Far from the revving motorcycles down the hill, artisans displayed their handmade crafts on East Franklin Street.

“Chapel Hill is a wonderful place to exhibit,” said Raleigh jeweler Ife Grady, who showed off metal jewelry. “Whether they buy or not, people here appreciate handmade goods.”

Volunteers at the festival offered another unique handicraft — condom flowers — to raise awareness of AIDS. Representing the University’s Center for AIDS Research and the Student Health Action Coalition, volunteers sponsored free on-site oral HIV tests and distributed information and condoms.

“I thought it would be good outreach to give testing less of a stigma,” University medical student Rebecca Zeitlin said.

Another handout made fewer people blush: Members of Grace Church in Chapel Hill gave bottles of water to thirsty passers-by as part of their acts of kindness ministry.

After Triangle Youth Ballet performed on the main stage, students took turns at the company’s booth to raise money. “I think it’s fun to be outside, but once you wear a pair of shoes on the street you pretty much can’t wear them again,” said Chapel Hill High student Erin Moise.

In the past, the afternoon’s families have given way to a rowdy late-night “After Chill” crowd.

Last year, a reported stabbing at Local 506 on West Franklin Street left two people hurt. In 2003 police received reports of a dozen fights.

Chapel Hill Special Events officer Phil Smith said that police would stay on the street until crowds dispersed but that, as of about 10:30 p.m., the event went off without a hitch.