Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Orange County looks to free up funds

Alarm about a perceived backlog of building maintenance issues has the Orange County Board of Commissioners mulling several options for diverting funding streams to county capital projects.

“We have got buildings that are literally falling apart,” Commissioner Stephen Halkiotis said, offering the county courthouse as an example of facility decay. “And I think it’s totally indefensible to allow that building to fall apart.”

In a preliminary report on county capital priorities and funding options Thursday, county Budget Director Donna Dean identified a host of maintenance needs.

Dean estimated the total cost of repairs at $18 million over the next 10 years, including critical repairs to the central recreation facility, preservation of historic sites and money set aside for emergency repairs.

In order to demonstrate a commitment to recurring capital expenses, county staff have suggested dedicating 1 cent of the property tax to upkeep.

Commissioners continued their discussion Thursday on a policy adopted in 2004 limiting funding for the two area school districts to 60 percent of capital spending in order to allocate a higher amount to county projects, which would receive the remaining 40 percent.

For years, schools received what Dean described as the lion’s share of capital allocations, or 77 percent.

That change would free as much as $24 million over the next decade for new county projects including a new land services building, a new library facility and debt service associated with the acquisition of the Triangle Sportsplex in Hillsborough.

According to the report, absent of any change to the ratio, baseline revenues would not be able to cover these expenses.

Commissioners are still discussing a number of options for implementing the new funding ratio.

But competing interests from Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools, facing a grim budget shortfall themselves, have expressed concern over the flexibility of such a policy, citing their backlog of maintenance issues and future capital needs related to growth.

Halkiotis said this was the most difficult budget season he could recall but was firm in defending the county's need for additional funding.

“It was never ordained that all we ever needed to worry about were the two school systems,” he said.

A joint meeting with the city school board will be held April 26 to discuss the funding issue.

Commissioners could decide on an option for implementing the policy May 3, Dean said.