Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Parade celebrates Hillsborough

Residents of all ages lined the shady streets of downtown Hillsborough on Sunday for a parade that loudly closed out the town’s 250-year anniversary celebrations.

“I love Hillsborough and its friendly people and beautiful scenery,” said Orange County Board of Education member Liz Brown as her sons’ marching band passed.

The processions kicked off at 3 p.m. from Town Hall and traveled south along Churton Street through the town’s historic center, stopping in front of the courthouse.

Horse-drawn buggies, antique cars, fire trucks and tractors meandered past the crowd of about 300. Student marching bands and history re-enactors walked with them.

Hillsborough’s outgoing police chief and grand marshal, Nathaniel Eubanks, rode in a red 1975 Cadillac convertible at the parade’s front.

He said the event gave him the opportunity to see old friends and family before retiring this month.

Sen. Ellie Kinnaird, D-Orange, was driven in a vintage convertible and Rep. Bill Faison, D-Orange and Caswell, drove his convertible Chevrolet SSR truck. “I love doing these things,” Kinnaird said, adding that she always attends the town’s annual Christmas parade.

Some of Hillsborough’s former mayors rode in a colonial-era horse-drawn carriage, and a float of veteran SEABEEs passed by. Onlookers cheered as the carriage passed by.

The town’s diverse history was remembered by lifetime resident and Native American, John “Blackfeather” Jeffries, who blessed the parade by calling on his ancestors amid a cloud of smoke.

His wife, Lynette, also prayed in a native language before translating her message. “Give us the strength to dance and stand tall,” she prayed.

“People from all over the world live in Hillsborough,” she said later.

Margaret Cannell, executive director of the town’s Chamber of Commerce, emphasized the importance of Hillsborough’s diversity.

“We’re trying to celebrate the entire history of Hillsborough … and all the different people who’ve made it the cool little town it is.”

One of the town’s historical benchmarks is when Gen. Lord Cornwallis occupied the area for a brief period during the Revolutionary War. Hillsborough was also the site of several private colleges that acted as feeders for UNC during the 20th century.

Lynette Jeffries said the parade gave residents a more vivid look into their past.

Following the patriotic music that trailed participating marching bands, a group of children ended the parade — and the anniversary.