Sunday, Sept. 29, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

- Chapel Hill police arrested a Yanceyville man at 4 p.m. Sunday and charged him with one felony count of first-degree rape, one felony count of strangulation, one misdemeanor count of assault on a female and one misdemeanor count of possession of a concealed weapon in the presence of a minor, police reports state.

According to Chapel Hill police spokeswoman Jane Cousins, Dominique Tucker, 21, was involved in a domestic dispute on South Estes Drive at the victim’s residence.

Tucker was arrested after police responded to a rape and assault complaint from the victim, a woman who Tucker knows.

He was not issued a bond, and he is scheduled to appear Sunday in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

- A Carrboro man was the victim of breaking and entering and larceny at 10 p.m. Sunday, police reports state.

Reports state that a subject entered the victim’s residence at Royal Park Apartments, located at N.C. 54 Bypass, by kicking in the front door.

The subject stole a $2,000 Lucian Piccard watch and a DVD valued at $20, according to reports.

Reports state that police were unable to obtain fingerprints from the residence, but the victim told officers he thought the suspect could be a man who lives nearby.

- Chapel Hill police arrested a local man at 8:40 p.m. Sunday and charged him with one misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana and one misdemeanor count of possession of an open beverage container, police reports state.

According to reports, Chasney Rydell Jennings, 28, was sitting in the right rear of a vehicle that police stopped for driving off without paying for gas on Airport Road at Estes Drive.

Reports state that when police approached the vehicle, they detected a strong odor of marijuana coming from the vehicle and found a 12-ounce can of Ice House beer sitting in the right rear floorboard.

A K-9 search of the car found a “baggy” under the backseat containing 12.5 grams of marijuana.

Jennings was issued a written promise to appear June 21 in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

- Chapel Hill police arrested a local man at 7:45 p.m. Sunday and charged him with one misdemeanor count of driving while intoxicated, reports state.

According to police reports, Claybon Lewis Atwater, 22, was arrested on Crest Street after being involved in an accident and performed poorly on field sobriety tests.

Reports state that Atwater recorded a .14 blood alcohol content reading on the Intoxilyzer 5000.

Police seized his grey 1996 Chevy Caprice because his license already was suspended for a previous charge of driving while intoxicated.

Atwater was issued a written promise to appear Thursday at Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.

- Chapel Hill police arrested a local man at 3 a.m. Monday and charged him with one felony count of strangulation, one misdemeanor count of assault on a female and one misdemeanor count of driving without a license, police reports state.

Reports state that Michael Antonio Baldwin, 22, was stopped by police after his girlfriend reported he took her car from her residence at Williams Circle near Barclay Road without permission.

After further investigation with the girlfriend, police charged Baldwin with strangulation after she said Baldwin had strangled her before stealing the car.

Baldwin is scheduled to appear May 23 in Orange County District Criminal Court in Hillsborough.